X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 MGM speaker upgrade

Hi there,
    JoJo from Germany here.
    My MGM is still in hibernation until March, but I am already thinking about how to upgrade the front speaker performance. All my www-research shows me some of the hugest bass-boom-boxes I have ever seen so far and for the front system some Alpine or other brand speakers in the OEM mounting places. I think the OEM mounting position in the front doors is not a good place to get a frontstaging as the low-mounted speaker grille is half covered by the dashboard when doors are closed. Further those mounting places in the front doors from my opinion do not provide any chance to align any standard speaker to the driver`s ears.

So far, so bad !

I am thinking about mounting either a wide band 4" speaker in 0.5 liter housing or a tweeter plus midrange speaker on top of the dash or to the "mirror triangles". The bass will come from a well calculated
    closed 12 liter bass box on the left side of the rear trunk shelf. All will be powered by precision AUDISSON amps.
    Mounting the tweeters to the A-pillar is also an option; any experiences with that out there?

Has anyone of you done such on-top-of-the-dash mounting or can anyone provide me with pictures of such an install in a MGM or CV ?

Are there standard solutions available or will I have to do some glassfiber work?

Open for any suggestions...............

Thanks a lot in advance, guys !

JoJo

as far as I know... there is no such thing as off the shelf solutions that are not universal solutions (one size fits all) for these cars. The door mounting positions aren't near as bad in the later cars as the 80s cars, but if you're going for positioning, then you'll definitely have to do something custom. The rear speaker mounts are pretty decent (though directly bolting the speaker down instead of using the stock rubber band will help with a powerful setup - regular head-unit driven setups you don't need to worry as much about excess vibration as there's not typically enough power to cause it). I know a few guys have done component setups here and typically mount the tweeters to the "mirror triangle" as it were. It seems to be the easiest and least modification needed location.

It sounds like you have a very good grasp of the sound setup you want to install, but sad to say, it'll have to be a custom housing for the front speakers if you don't want to use the stock door locations.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
    X