EGR Flow Sensor/DPFE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Flow Sensor/DPFE

I had a check engine light which was a code for low EGR flow for a while in my '02. I assumed it was just a bad EGR valve. I finally got around to buying a new valve but the old valve was fine when I pulled it off. I put it back on and picked up a 2' piece of vacuum hose. I started my car up and sucked on the hose after attaching it to my EGR valve. The engine almost died as it should. I then went back to Advance and returned the EGR and picked up a EGR flow sensor. For those who are not aware, it works by monitoring the differential pressure at an orifice in the EGR tube going up to the valve. There is a hose before and a hose after the orifice going to the sensor.
    I found out that there was a TSB on these things as they were problematic from new so Ford developed an updated sensor to replace the factory one. The one from Advance (BWD brand) is about 1/3 the price of one from Ford and supposedly BWD makes the one for Ford. There isn't even a bracket on the '03 so all I had to do was pull the old one off of the hoses, disconnect the pigtail and then reinstall the new one. No tools necessary and less than 5 minutes.
    No more check engine light.
    It is called an EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor at Advance and Ford calls it a DPFE (Delta(Differential) Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor)
    Last edited by Mercracer; 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM.

SOmething I've seen with these, not specifically on the 4.6, but just on other Fords with the DPFE is that a clog in the EGR system can cause those hoses to melt. Some of them have plastic sensors, and in one case on a Ranger, the sensor body was actually melted right around the hose, along with the hose itself being torched. So if anyone happens to be working on one of these and finds the hoses and/or sensor roasted to death, make sure the rest of the EGR system is working properly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There were two variances. The PFE and The DPFE, the difference being the number of hoses running to the sensor. DPFE had two. The PFE had one.

Comment

the one I'm thinking of was a 2 hose DPFE on a 95 or 96 Ranger 4.0. The melted sensor was replaced with one off a 96 Explorer, also 2 hose, but the sensor was metal instead of plastic.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i've seen both plastic and metal case sensors. I was helping the service department determine what a melted sensor was. They said it was a MAP but I noticed that it had, at one point two vacuum ports. And anything so close to the exhaust I told them it was a DPFE sensor. The one that was listed to replace the broken sensor was a metal case DPFE.

Comment

Working...
          X