No announcement yet.

255 fuel pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Said NAPA radiator hose number is 8104 and under the barcode is R727775.

Packman

Comment

Under what application did you purchase the pump?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fox Mustang (86-93)
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

excellent thanks.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also, I think I read in another thread that you can wedge 1/4" fuel line hoses down in on both sides of the new smaller-diameter Mustang pump when inserting it instead of using an extra hose clamp to keep the 255lph pump solidly in place.

Posting this b/c I gave a link to this thread to the shop who are installing the same unit in my '82 Mark VI with the Mustang motor.
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

If this is still applicable for you sxc.........

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l-Pump-Upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                If this is still applicable for you sxc.........

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l-Pump-Upgrade
                Thanks man, but I easily found that since search finally started working right on the site since the VB update. Figured jamming fuel hoses in the edges was better than a no-tip condom of non-fuel-rated radiator hose even if it is the proper diameter in and out.

Apparently they had to pry the exhaust aside to get the fuel tank to drop out of it and it might be done tomorrow if I'm lucky.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                  mustang pumps are direct bolt in on 90-91 cars btw guys
                  So if a dude didn't want to do all this modification using Chrysler hoses and stuff he could buy a 90-91 LTD/GM gas tank & then mount a Rustang pump in it?
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    So if a dude didn't want to do all this modification using Chrysler hoses and stuff he could buy a 90-91 LTD/GM gas tank & then mount a Rustang pump in it?
                    I suspect that would work but don't let the mods for the mustang pump installation scare you. It's not a big deal. Just find a radiator hose (I had a couple old ones stashed in my junk pile) that fits the OD of the mustang pump and you've got the most difficult part handled. I bought a foot of bulk 5/16 fuel line and trimmed it to length, to properly reach from the pump to the pickup. I also extended the wires maybe 2". Add the second hose clamp to secure it in the rubber boot.

Follow the pics and tips in this thread and you'll be golden.

Comment

I wonder about a piece of rubber being bathed in gas for a few years...Anyone have any long term experience?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Any rubber does ok until left out in the atmosphere for to long and drys out then it will most likely rot. Some rubber is a bit more resistant to it than others. NAPA IS ONE THAT SELLS larger dia fuel filler inlet hose. They also handle hose that is more resistant than their std fuel line
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I bought a fuel pump that looks like that one from RockAuto; it came with a sleeve to make it fit inside the hanger assembly, and hose pieces, wires, clamps and such to make it fit everything else.

Feels like it lost some power compared to the old one, but it runs better and doesn't sound like it's going to explode. Could be something else causing it, I'll find out after I change the oil and battery cables.

(Yes, I'm still working on that. Thing's been grounded for a month for various reasons.)
                          Last edited by ootdega; 11-20-2015, 02:57 AM.
                          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                            Any rubber does ok until left out in the atmosphere for to long and drys out then it will most likely rot. Some rubber is a bit more resistant to it than others. NAPA IS ONE THAT SELLS larger dia fuel filler inlet hose. They also handle hose that is more resistant than their std fuel line
                            Rubber hose not rated for fuel/oils will break down fairly quick when submerged in gasoline. When buying fuel hose now, look for the kind with a green stripe/lettering...it's designed to handle ethanol blended fuels. "Any rubber will do" is incorrect, contrary to our "engineer for Ford" friend.
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

There are actually special types of fuel line intended for in-tank use. Typical fuel hose is lined on the inside, and has a standard corded rubber outer bit. The lining is to protect it against fuel and ethanol, the outer bit is simply for abrasion resistance and pressure handling. Submerged lines should be completely lined so they don't disintegrate from soaking in the fuel full time.

SAE30R9 is typical hose, SAE30R10 is the submerged stuff.

Hoses not intended for fuel use don't have that lining, and they turn to slimy goo after a bit of time soaking in gasoline or other oil. Ever grab a radiator hose on a car that spews oil and notice its spongy feeling? Thats the rubber breaking down from oil exposure.
                              Last edited by gadget73; 11-21-2015, 11:13 AM.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X