255 fuel pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

255 fuel pump install

Dont remember all of this its been a while. Have some pics that might help. Starting with the tank on the floor.
    Large bung is were the pump is small one at the top of the tank is a vent think it runs forward to the carbon canister when hooked up

Click image for larger version

Name:	115.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1298612
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Disconecting the hoses. The same clips as used on the fuel filter are removed. Might want to pick up some new ones for renstalling the connectors.

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1268364

Comment

After removing the fuel lines and electrical connector the lock ring has to be removed. A punch of some sort and a hammer is needed. Some say to use a brass one to prevent any sparks. I never have used a brass one that I can remember. Your call. A new rubber gasket might be needed dont remember if the pump came with one. If it did it might have been the wrong size might be thinking of something else I worked on.

Comment

What year/model of car is this for?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Here is pics of the original pump assembly and the 255 pump about ready to install.

Name:	096.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1268365
          Original

Name:	102.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1268366

Comment

The band clamp holding the boot to the pump and bracket will have to be cut off to remove the pump.

Comment

Looks like 86-89 car.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

The 255 pump has a differend diameter body. Using a section of rubber hose fit just about perfect. Sorry dont remember the size.

Name:	099.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1268367

Comment

Another issue is the 255 pump is shorter. Without doing the next mod the pump could be installed I believe. Without it though a few gallons give or take would be lost because the pump would be sitting too high in the tank to pick it up.

Started by cutting the hole in the bottom of the boot so the pump could be inserted to a lower position.

In step 5 post one should measure the distance from the rim of the bracket the boot fits on to the bottom of the filter.
                  It will be needed to install the pump to the factorys orignal depth.

Name:	098.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1268368
                  Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-16-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Install the pump in the boot attach the filter (it might have to be purchased seperately). osition the filter in the same orentation as the factory one as shown in post 5. Then adjust the pumps depth using the measure ment from the bracket rim to the bottom of the filter. Two band clamps will be needed one to hold the pump to the boot and one to hold the boot to the bracket. Because the pump is shorter a longer hose will be needed to connect to the outlet tube. It should be attached to the pump before installing in the boot.

Name:	101.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1268369

Name:	106.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1268372

The original filter wount fit the new pump the proper one is now what is used on a Mustang
                    Last edited by turbo2256b; 01-16-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Lastly is the electrical connections they are different. The FMS pump had the connector with it and some wire splicers. Possibly why the kit cost a bit more from them over the same pump from others that market it in there name. Splice the new connector and connect to the pump.
                      Then attach the fuel supply hose to the tube.

Name:	097.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1268370
                      Orginal

Name:	105.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1268371

Comment

Reverse pump removal procedure to install pump.

Name:	107.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1268373

Pic of pump installed as seen through the fuel filler opening

Comment

Nice!!! I'm in the process of purchasing the fuel pump hanger assembly and an Accel 190 lph fuel pump for a Mustang. I have the original pump that went bad a couple years ago for the CV and use that for fitment purposes. I was going to compare the two pumps relative to the hanger and make the necessary adjustments. This makes it a helluva lot easier.

Packman

Comment

mustang pumps are direct bolt in on 90-91 cars btw guys

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Okay, I am working on this project over the winter. I am going to do this a little differently. Because the Mustang pump is shorter and smaller, I am going to use something else to fill in the space. I found a radiator hose that was bought from NAPA ages ago for an '80s Chrysler Cordoba with a 318 (I didn't know they still made those in the '80s). I am going to cut the straight sections off and fit them in the boot cavity as it fits snuggly in there. The fuel pump fits snuggly in the radiator hose. I will see how much cramming I have to do to get them to all fit together. It looks like I will be cutting the nipple off of the boot to extend the boot insert (radiator hose). Hopefully this works. I might even cram the insert up to the nipple and then cut where you (turbo) cut and extend it that way. I will get the NAPA part# tomorrow.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X