lug nut key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lug nut key?

Should there be a key or something to get the locking lug nut off each wheel? I'm guessing these are stock, they look old and rusty like the studs and I know none of the previous owners put them on. I didn't see a key with my tire changing equipment, so I hope i'm not screwed. Is it possible to get one off without breaking the stud if you don't have a key for it? I'd like to get all new lug nuts, maybe closed end nuts to run no center caps.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

do they have keyways or are they made like a puzzle to fit a custom socket like a mcgard lock?

If they are locks based on fitting a custom socket(key) then after you are certain that you do not have the key the locking lugs can be removed fairly easily with a custom locking lug removal tool like a bolt out tool available at your flaps. If you have a good quality 12 point socket that you don't mind beating on you can use that. A cheap socket will probably just break. if you buy the tool follow the directions. If you use a 12 point socket, pound it on tight and then you will be able to turn the locking lug out.

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

check other hiding places for the key socket... glovebox, console, various corners of the trunk, under the spare tire, on top of the spare tire, etc. I usually keep min on top of the spare tire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Nevermind I found it, it was in the corner of the trunk behind the spare tire, under the carpet that was turned up for some reason. I spotted it when I was looking to the lug wrench.

Comment

Oo maybe thats where mine is

Comment

Originally posted by rsolis View Post
            Oo maybe thats where mine is
            mine luckily is still tethered to the lug wrench and even has the little envelope on it with the card for ordering a new one not that there available now anyway lol.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

ford dealer might still have a master set.

Or a chisel and hammer/ pneumatic impact hammer!

But if you DO have your key, still, seriously-- take those off of there and throw them out. No one is going to steel your 20 year old rims, and it's just grief waiting to happen for when your key does go missing, or, it breaks-- which definitely happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post

But if you DO have your key, still, seriously-- take those off of there and throw them out. No one is going to steel your 20 year old rims, and it's just grief waiting to happen for when your key does go missing, or, it breaks-- which definitely happens.
                have you seen how heavy duty those are its not gonna break besides im trying to keep this car as original as possible and those little things matter to me.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Have had mine since 1987 - not that I remove the tires often but it hasn't broken yet. I also like to keep things original.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the one that came with my car was rounding off, so I had to get rid of it-- or be left with a stuck wheel some day.
                    I've seen them break on other cars anyway (don't see too many 86-93 GMs at either workplace: make that none), and of course far more often than that, just get lost.

Comment

the one that came with my car was rounding off, so I had to get rid of it-- or be left with a stuck wheel some day.
                      I've seen them break on other cars anyway (don't see too many 86-93 GMs at either workplace: make that none), and of course far more often than that, just get lost.
                      Never seen one break (unless someone "strong-armed it") but since yours was damaged you did the right thing. As for no one stealing these type wheels...I wouldn't bet on that!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I still have my key... on top of the spare tire... and I'm not about to loose those things... they keep my hubcaps ON. and if you're a curb hopper like I am... this is a good thing. (I'm rough on suspensions)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If my key turned out to be stripped i'll get closed lugs but for now i'll keep it like it is. I'd like to get rid of the center caps since those are a pain to get off as well but the studs that hold the caps on look so ugly exposed.

Comment

craftsman and snap-on bouth have reverse spiral sockets for that purpose or a worn out 12 pt and a hammer will useualy work

Comment

I retired mine a few years ago and replaced the lug nuts with 4 matching nuts. After 21 years I doubt anyone is that interested in my scruffy alloy wheels. I figured I have a better chance of losing the special key than someone ripping off my wheels. Plus it's more convenient to service my vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X