solid wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solid wheels

I'm shopping for new wheels and i'm looking at some wheels that have no holes, like American Racing Outlaw 1 wheels. Are there any disadvantages to not having holes in the wheels? I was thinking the brakes wouldn't cool as well but i've seen a lot of people run them and haven't heard of any such issues, but I don't want to get a set then come to find out I wasted all that money. I don't do any hard braking, in fact i'm one of those people who coasts to a stop as much as possible to save brakes and gas. Basically i'd just like to know if anyone knows that they'll be fine, or has experience with them and can tell me if they caused any noticable issues.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Disadvantages of solid wheels: 1) Weight - They tend to be pretty heavy, even though they're aluminum, they'll weigh more than a comparable "open" type style of wheel in the same size. 2a) The look is pretty dated - They'll look great on a Box, and some Aeros could pull it off, but I wouldn't run them on a Whale. 2b) Because the look and style is pretty dated, your options for sizes and offsets is going to be limited. I'm pretty sure you can't get this style wheel any larger than a 16", and maybe only a 15". That also limits the application you can use them on. 15" wheels may not clear your brake calipers. 3) Heat - You are correct, your rotors won't be able to breathe very well. Probably not a concern unless you drive a lot of back roads at a *quick* pace, or you do a lot of city stop and go driving. During a typical commute, you probably won't notice any significant change in braking performance.

What are you looking to put wheels on, may the collective here can help guide you to a wheel that suits your (and your car's) personality.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

The extra weight will also have a negative effect on braking. It may not be much, but any time you add rotational mass to the wheel, it becomes harder to stop it or accelerate it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We've ran these on a few trucks I've built http://centerlinewheels.com/images/w...0_smoothie.jpg

They come in sizes all the way up to at least 22"

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

I'm looking to put them on my 88 Town Car, only want 15x7 wheels since that's plenty for cruising, I can fit 255/60's which will look a lot better than the stock 215/70's on it now. I'm thinking of US Wheel 52 series, these would look great on my car: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-52-5710/ And i'd rather have a little negative offset but those won't be any worse than stock.

I wouldn't think those would be heavier than my stock snowflake turbines but they could be. I'm just trying to go for an old school look that fits with the car. I was looking at chrome Summit rallye wheels but those look like Chevy rallye wheels which wouldn't look right on my car.
          Last edited by 88Vic; 02-10-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

This may be a minuscule detail, i know it certainly applies to motorcycles. On windy days you may feel it pushing the car from side to side a bit more, as it catches the wheel rather than passes through it.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Up-grade to a set of aero TC alloys. The lacy-spoke style used for 1992 is my fav.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

No I don't like turbines, I have the base turbines, the flake style and they have the AARP look to them, trying to get away from that. I want chrome wheels with RWL tires like BFG Radial T/A tires. I guess I can skip the solid smoothies if they'll affect performance in any way, I can't sacrifice any. I'm in between Cragar Series 315 and 320, the 8 spoke wagon wheel and 10 hole styles, both in mirror chrome finish.

Which of those would you think would fit the TC better?

Comment

Don't put wagon wheels on your Townie, please. I've always thought they looked cheap, and unless they're going on a truck or a Jeep, I think you can do better. My recommendation would be to save your nickels and dimes and spend a little more on a nicer set.

You mentioned Solid wheels, how about THESE?

If you must do steel, these have always been one of my favorites, and would look great on your Townie.

These would look good on your car too.

I had these on an S10 a few years ago, and they held up well and looked great against the square lines of my boxy truck.

Maybe I'm just not clear on what look you're going for, but IMO any of the wheels I've listed here would look better than chrome wagon wheels, or solid baby moons on your Town Car. I know they're more expensive than the ones you listed, but once they're on the car, I imagine you'll regret cheaping out on your rim selection.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                  Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

actually, cragar ss rims look pretty good on lincolns. cragar soft 8's in chome, look good too. cragar star-wires are the ultimate though. i would kill for a set, for my lincoln.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Those Cragar Star-Wires would look sick, and check out this Caddy I found when I goggle searched those wheels: http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MAVICA.HTM But after searching I haven't found a set anywhere but on ebay since apparently they're on backorder nationwide, so i'll probably never be able to get a set.

I like the hotrod look though which is why I like the 10 hole wheels, or the chrome Soft 8's would look nice too. Going for the look like Zoomie's car, I want to slicktop mine and throw some good wheels on it and repaint it gunmetal grey or something like that. A set of chrome wheels and RWL tires would make the whole car look better. For now i'm just gonna throw a set of blackwalls on my turbines and call it good.

Comment

Alright after checking the wheel/tire FAQ I think I found what i'm looking for. I actually wanted the chrome d-window wheels but I couldn't find any that were street wheels, all I found were circle track wheels. Anywho before I go ahead and order the wrong ones I want to make sure these are the correct ones to fit my car. I know I can return them if they don't fit but I really don't want to go through that hassle, so after checking I came up with this, can someone tell me if this exact part number will fit my Lincoln:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3205712/

Comment

i think zommie has them on his town car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If he doesn't respond or see this i'll PM him to find out what he has. I know he's got 15x7's on the front but 15x8 in back, but I want to keep it even all around so I can rotate the tires to make them last, 255/60 will fit on a 7" wide wheel which will be a big improvement over stock, especially paired with new shocks and a rear sway bar. In fact Chevy put 275/60's on the 454SS trucks which were in fact 15x7 wheels, not 15x8 like popular belief.

Comment

Alright i've narrowed it down to either the Cragar chrome Quick Trick wheels, or US Wheel Chrome Star wheels, leaning more towards the Quick Tricks since i've seen the Chrome Star's on trucks and they look great on trucks just not sure about cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X