No announcement yet.

Cold air intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the air filter is your basic cone thing. replacements include K&N, Spectre, AFE, whatever the hell you can find with the same size hole in it. They're all your basic clean and re-oil style filters. you can use any brand of stuff on them, but their warranty may require their own brand of goop (if they have a warranty - I have one and don't remember). They need cleaning so rarely that it's not a real issue (every 30-50K miles depending on conditions). You really can let them look like you dropped them in a tub of oil and rolled it in the sand dunes before needing to be cleaned. They have that much filter material. If you have a high flow system (something that actually pulls over 600CFM... and good luck with that on anything less than boosted) then you may need to clean it more often. Get the one that's easiest to install and looks durable.

now if you don't wanna dick with the oiling... get the dry-S model. You also need to take into account drying time when cleaning the filter. The 5R can take up to a day to dry while the Dry-S may only take a couple of hours. (differences in materials). Personally, knowing what I know now... I'd go withe the Dry-S just for sheer ease of use.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks bro that was helpful

Comment

Maybe it's because i've never had a high flowing intake, but everytime i've switched to a performance filter alone, I never noticed any improvement over a paper filter. Didn't notice a difference on my 87 5.0 Mustang when I put a Spectre filter on, and I didn't notice when a put a K&N on my Silverado, and that had a 290hp 350 with LT's and a Voodoo cam.

I'm just saying that personally i'll never go out of my way for a performance filter again. I've run paper filters for over 50k and they still look clean so i'll stick with them, unless i'm buying an aftermarket CAI like an Airaid or something. There are round paper filters like what GM trucks use that you could stick on a smooth intake tube with a heat shield and I bet it would flow just as well as the same thing with a cotton filter would. Just my opinion though.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I noticed a difference on the 93... but it was above 4000 RPM.
          I noticed a difference on my 88... but again... above 3000 RPM.

The performance filters will not give any feel on the low end. It's all top end. And you have to be uber sensitive to it on the lopo to really feel it. The butt dyno on the 93 was obvious though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

See I hardly ever rev that high, only if i'm in a hurry and merging on the highway. I'd rather just save the money and use paper filters, I've seen people's tests saying paper filters filter better anyways, not sure if it's true.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

generally, stock filters do filter a finer particles. Though I've not seen any worse build-up/oil crud from stuff getting through the performance filters. IIRC ir was a difference between some number like 10 and 50 micron. either way, as long as dirt and rocks aren't getting in, there shouldn't be much issue.

Comment

Working...
              X