No announcement yet.

hood shocks or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just put shocks in my 84 lincoln, best $30 I ever spent, they go on easy. the clips face the same when you take them out of the box but the hood pin and fender pin face opposite directions. just twist the shock rod 180 degrees and they pop right on.
    That steel hood is heavy. apparently there is an aluminum hood option for TC's (at least in '84) as there are 2 shock part numbers. I'd love to score an aluminum hood.
    You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

The Mark VI and 86+ all have aluminum hoods. The 80 Continental also has an aluminum hood. What other cars between 80-85 had aluminum, I do not know. Honestly not sure why they made 2 hoods at all. Doesn't seem to make sense to me.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

they probably got tired of forging manhole covers into town car hoods
        You know the car runs well when the only things left to work on are the rear door cigarette lighters.

Comment

I would think using the hood spring assemblies like the ones the 90 CV has. It has a round spring and a simple bracket setup. The 90 CV hoods seem to be very thin.
          I have been considering changing my TC hood struts to that setup. Has anyone done this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            I would think using the hood spring assemblies like the ones the 90 CV has. It has a round spring and a simple bracket setup. The 90 CV hoods seem to be very thin.
            I have been considering changing my TC hood struts to that setup. Has anyone done this ?
            TownCar hoods are way longer than the vic/gm hoods. They used the same springs as the earlier ones.

Comment

If it were a steel hood, I wouldn't expect problems. The aluminum I would be worried about. Give it a shot and let us know. I don't think anyone has actually done this so its all just guesswork at this point.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No one has done the reverse and fitted a box vic with hood struts. Have they?

Comment

It didn't even take me all of 5 minutes to put the stuts on, the hardest part was popping the old rusted clips off the worn stuts, new ones popped right on, and I did have to rotate them to make them fit. That was the easiest repair i've ever done I think.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I just wish I could find shocks for my Mark's trunk that would last longer than 3 weeks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      I just wish I could find shocks for my Mark's trunk that would last longer than 3 weeks.
                      i hear that! i wish there was an ulternative.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Lincolns got hood struts because they're silent. Springs tend to make a little bit of noise. Springs also weigh considerably more.

Comment

heh... so what's a few more pounds for a car that's already a few hundred pounds heavier anyhow?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

*shrug* gotta save it where you can...

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                              heh... so what's a few more pounds for a car that's already a few hundred pounds heavier anyhow?

Its a Lincoln thing

Comment

My MKVI's trunk lid lift supports are still going, over a year after they were installed.

Strong Arm makes really good lift supports in my experience, never had any problems with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X