No announcement yet.

'12 Mazda5 Touring, "555-95472"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, big price difference in the 0 weight and 5 weight. IIRC, a quart of 5 or 10 weight Mobil1 was like $5 at AutoZone. Last I checked, they didn't yet have 0 weight in the nice 5-quart containers that go on sale sometimes for $20 to $25. This car's 1000% stock and will likely remain that way till the warranty's expired, so I'm not too worried about the Mazda dealer working on it. It did feel a little weird to change the oil on the Cavalier myself after having hardly been under a car in months and months!

$90 sounds slightly nuts unless it's for a vehicle requiring a lot more than 5 quarts of oil! I don't know what the small lube places here charge, but it could well be more than the dealer does. I only have one free oil change left (our total deal included 2 each year for 2 years), but I think there are usually oil-change coupons in the little packets I get from time to time.

What does surprise me a little is that they charge $16 each for wipers. At least they work really well and are $8/each for fronts with coupon. The rear is another $16 ... though, this car's rear wiper is a funky design that I don't know if you can get from Anco and Trico and Rain-X.

Anywhoo, we put almost exactly 10,000 miles on this car in the first year - way more than I'd expected, but then, it's become the go-to vehicle for most family errands with the Cavalier being reduced pretty much to commuter duty only, and I've committed to a couple more things that involve driving 10 miles or so each way. Partly to reduce car use, I did manage to buy a family bicycle (i.e. a cheap tandem with a platform rack up front and my son riding stoker) and try to use that for in-town errands that don't involve transporting grandparent types.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

had an 07 mazda5, loved it. fantastic little hauler. went with the grand touring package and truly enjoyed it. never ended up having as many kids as we initially planned so eventually traded it for something smaller. altogether really liked everything about the car, sans the lack of low end grunt.

Comment

Mobile-1 0w20 at walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...l-5qt/17034374

same price as the 5w20 syntech

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKRM View Post
          had an 07 mazda5, loved it. fantastic little hauler. went with the grand touring package and truly enjoyed it. never ended up having as many kids as we initially planned so eventually traded it for something smaller. altogether really liked everything about the car, sans the lack of low end grunt.
          Supposedly the 2.5L engine did a lot to fix the "grunt" issue. It's not quick, but it gets out of its own way. Car & Driver's "Speed5" experiment was probably a lot of fun, but I'd worry about traction limitations with this car's relatively deep First gear.

Mazda5s have pretty much dropped off the map at our area dealer, and one hears nothing about them in general, so I'm desperately hoping they bring out a Skyactiv-equipped '14 model (like the 2.5L '14 Mazda6 rated at up to 39mpg versus 21/28 for this car) to draw additional attention away from the Tahoes and such. I suspect something needs to be done in addition to convince people it isn't just another "crossover" vehicle or worse, another Chevy Venture (comparison made by a GM employee I know who totally and completely missed my point about Chevy selling a compact people-carrier overseas but not here).

Originally posted by slymer View Post
          Mobile-1 0w20 at walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-0W...l-5qt/17034374

same price as the 5w20 syntech
          Nice! Will have to watch for that, especially once I start changing this car's oil myself. Maybe the price of 0-weight went down a bit in the past year or so?
          Last edited by 1987cp; 07-09-2013, 10:20 PM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            $90 sounds slightly nuts unless it's for a vehicle requiring a lot more than 5 quarts of oil! I don't know what the small lube places here charge, but it could well be more than the dealer does. I only have one free oil change left (our total deal included 2 each year for 2 years), but I think there are usually oil-change coupons in the little packets I get from time to time.
            Around here, not so nuts. That was one of the local shops. I have never shopped around, but I should start, just in case I am not here to do these things.

Packman

Comment

Working...
            X