Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upgrading my jbl system to aftermarket headunit and aftermarket amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading my jbl system to aftermarket headunit and aftermarket amp.

when adding an aftermarket radio to a jbl system do i need to bypass the jbl amp. i plan to use a aftermarket JBL amp than the factory one. i have the aftermaket headunit harness adaptor to plug into my existing jbl connections just wondering if i should drive the aftermarket hu off the jbl amp or just bypass the jbl amp. i dont want to kill the aftermarket headunit.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

do your self a favor run your own wires, it far more easier to screw up with a guess than ,just know that your wires are run and youll have powerwherever you want it. when i hooked up my system, i used the switched power and thats it all my other wires , i ran sepereate from stock. i blew up a 200 dollar jvc unit trying to interface wit the stock stuff, now have alpine type s speakers,and an old alpine HU, you can ask piece it pete how it sounds.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

If you are using an aftermarket amp, then yes I would run your own wires. If you want to use an aftermarket head with the factory JBL, we discussed this in the "Might be looking at a Town Car" thread a few weeks back, I posted a link to a harness that allows you use the new headunit's preamp outs to interface with the factory JBL.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
        If you are using an aftermarket amp, then yes I would run your own wires. If you want to use an aftermarket head with the factory JBL, we discussed this in the "Might be looking at a Town Car" thread a few weeks back, I posted a link to a harness that allows you use the new headunit's preamp outs to interface with the factory JBL.

i got to check the thread out. thanks for the help im keeping my jbl amp just using an aftermarket jensen headunit which i got on sale 80% i managed getting a $300 radio for only $65. Lifes good. .

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

the metra ford premium sound amp intergation harness is needed and it will work fine. its a very good quality harness. i got a bunch, that i bought. i plan on using them for my premium sound upgrades.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MattsTownCarSS View Post
            i got to check the thread out. thanks for the help im keeping my jbl amp just using an aftermarket jensen headunit which i got on sale 80% i managed getting a $300 radio for only $65. Lifes good. .
            i hope youre talking about the UV10 flip out. thats the most expensive HU/in dash dvd player they have which goes for about $250 from a reputable online store and x2 on the metra harness.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I bypassed my JBl amp after blowing one up with a high power deck in my Town Car, however I used the JBL amp in My Mark VII with an aftermarket head unit and It's till working fine with the new owner of the car 3 years later ... both were PIONEER head units

I used this in my town car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-FDK2...item359638ac65
              sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Originally posted by hypostang View Post
                I bypassed my JBl amp after blowing one up with a high power deck in my Town Car, however I used the JBL amp in My Mark VII with an aftermarket head unit and It's till working fine with the new owner of the car 3 years later ... both were PIONEER head units

I used this in my town car

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-FDK2...item359638ac65
                Thats the same amp bypass haness and dash harness I used in my merc.
                2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                  i hope youre talking about the UV10 flip out. thats the most expensive HU/in dash dvd player they have which goes for about $250 from a reputable online store and x2 on the metra harness.
                  nope its even better than the uv10. it's a jensen VM9214. retail price was $300 i got it for $60 with a special 80% discount to only employees. it has DVD player/CD player, Navigation GPS, Backup Camera, ipod plugin, bluetooth. overall it's a fricken decent radio.

http://mobile.jensen.com/mobilemultimedia/?sku=VM9214

Comment

for the price you paid, its worth it. but, for retail purchase, i would never consider jensen. pioneer and alpine are the top picks. pioneer has the best bang for your buck HU. i will be getting a pioneer DEH-P9400BH, for my lincoln.

now, for the right harness. this is what you need.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	214951905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1268645

metra makes it and is called a "ford premium sound amp intergration harness"P/N 70-5510. i got a couple off E-bay and they were cheaper. and yes, the ones i bought, are new in package and are a metra product.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The type marquisman posted is the one to use if you wish to keep the JBL amp. It must connect to the RCA jacks. If you tie it to the speaker outputs, you'll smoke the JBL amp. Its designed for low level signal input, probably no more than you'd get out of say an iPod headphone jack. Feed 40 watts into that, and it just cannot deal with it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        The type marquisman posted is the one to use if you wish to keep the JBL amp. It must connect to the RCA jacks. If you tie it to the speaker outputs, you'll smoke the JBL amp. Its designed for low level signal input, probably no more than you'd get out of say an iPod headphone jack. Feed 40 watts into that, and it just cannot deal with it.
                        ok i will buy that harness tommorow.

Comment

now if i can only figure out what color plug goes where. like purple= left rear and so on so on.

im just using this aftermarket radio till i have the time and money to buy the cd player jbl from paul protos once he is settled in his new place and can work on them. once i get the jbl unit it will go into the towny.
                          Last edited by MattsLincoln; 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Pioneer and the Kenwood eXcelon line are my top picks (Pioneer for the lower end stuff for features... Kenwood for the pure audiophile built-in crossover goodness). I did use a Jensen in the 93 scort that I rebuilt. was the cheapest built-in HD radio I could find and it had decent sound. since I was flipping the car, it worked well for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Alpine all the way, i have had almost every headunit,out there pioneer,kenwood,jvc,, ive also installed countelss headunits in customers cars, but honestly aplpine,now makes a low budget unit, that has a lot of features,as well as crossover and such for 132 bucks or so, id say its not to bad, i have an oldschool one i got a junkyard for 50 bucks, by the time s/f rolls around ill have a new one installed and ready to go.
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X