New 302 In A Old Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 302 In A Old Ford

Hey everyone just a small question I herd that Ford has a new 302 in the 2012 Mustang. Any idea on just how much work it would be to swap one in with a stock AOD. Thanks

Yea the Coyote some room would need to be made and I wouldn't use that junk AOD put a C4 behind it

Comment

you think if I treat her well I could use the AOD for some time?

Comment

You are not going to simply bolt a SBF bolt pattern AOD to a Coyote engine. The Coyote is a mod motor with the mod motor bolt pattern.

Comment

The motor mounts might be hard but they make a stand alone wiring harness for it to swap it into non mustang platforms. And the aftermarket probably make a bellhousing to bolt it up to a aod. But the new 302 will be expensive

Comment

there are adapter plates out there to mount SBF stuff to mod stuff. The new 302 with ECM/Harness is about $9K. It puts out over 400hp. The stock AOD WILL die. You can however have an AOD rebuilt with HD parts to be able to handle it with little/no issue. The problem comes with having to sort the TV cable BS.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              there are adapter plates out there to mount SBF stuff to mod stuff. The new 302 with ECM/Harness is about $9K. It puts out over 400hp. The stock AOD WILL die. You can however have an AOD rebuilt with HD parts to be able to handle it with little/no issue. The problem comes with having to sort the TV cable BS.
              Yeah that's true especially since the coyote is throttle by wire... If you can afford the motor you might as well buy it with the stock trans or go for a 4r75w.

Comment

I can just see a rig setup with the TV cable driven off the skinny peddal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm ok well thanks for the info guys.

Comment

If you have the 15 to 20k to do it it would be really cool.
                    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                      I can just see a rig setup with the TV cable driven off the skinny peddal.
                      Hell Yea! Haha

Comment

ive had the pleasure of looking at one up close and personal, the cyote will fit, it basically the same way you would to drop a 4.6 in a box. however you will need to cut the crossmember up and make a tubular mount for it though. im sure it can be done, and i know a guy who specializes in such things, but the only reason for putting one in a box is for shock value and say , yeah i did that, you can get a cammer motor,which is basically the same thing. also you would need a c4 bell housing adaptor, and the flywheel to go with. i have both of those items at the shop hehe. but for the money i can build a pushrod or a mod motor and make more hp and tq than that cyote motor anyway so 15 k.. honestly would be best spent in just building something far nastyier than one of those things.... slymer what are HD parts for an AOD, no such thing, there is however some parts you can use to beef one up, but then again thats why ill be going to an aode....
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

It would be interesting to see how quick a stock AOD would explode behind one of those things. I'm betting it would die before your first oil change.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            It would be interesting to see how quick a stock AOD would explode behind one of those things. I'm betting it would die before your first oil change.
                            Haha Oh Yea

Comment

I would just keep an eye on CL if you really want to put a Mustang motor in, I saw a complete 2001 or later 4.6 Mustang motor with 5spd for $800 around the Pittsburgh area (sold after a couple weeks up). I've got some old Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazines from back in the day in a box around here which detail different builds with costs and you can hit 4-5-600 hp easy on a 302 if you want, you just have to build it properly.
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X