Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dull Tail/Brake Lights? Try this...!

Use disco ball mirrors!

I had a few close rear end calls from cell phone yackers not watching when I brake. So changed to Super Bright LEDs bulbs. They helped, but they still seemed dull to me. Now after install the mirrors they almost drop their phones when I hit the brakes!

I bought the mirrors at Hobby lobby. They come in different sizes. I scuffed up the backing and used E-6000 Industrial Strength Adhesive (Hobby Lobby or Wal-mart). This glue is like model glue on steroids.

I did the 3rd brake light last fall and just now got around to the main lights last week. As you can see from the pictures the chrome backing/coating were pretty much gone. I was going to repaint them with chrome paint, but mirrors seem brighter.
    Attached Files

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

That's not a bad idea. That would definitely make even the stock incandesent bulbs shine brighter!

Comment

Awesome idea. You know, if you have a decent plastics shop around, you can find Mylar film with a super high mirror chrome finish that would work amazingly for this, too.

Comment

me likey!!!!!!!!
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That's definitely a good idea right there. I put LEDs in mine, and they don't see to cut it too well in the sunshine. That would assist 'em greatly.

So how do they sell the disco ball mirror? Did you buy them just in a pack of the little squares?

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
            Did you buy them just in a pack of the little squares?
            AC Moore or Michaels will have them in various sizes in bags of 6 or whatever.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

how did you get the tail lights apart??? aren't the two halves glued together???? i would like to do this but dont want to brake a tail light in the process!!!!!!!!!!
              '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
              "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
              "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
              "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
              "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

The mirrors are a good idea. Another thing you can do is use that aluminum foil tape that is for taping metal duct seams. You can buy it at building supply stores and hardware stores. It comes in a roll and it's about 3" wide or so, and it's like heavy aluminum foil that's really sticky on the back. You can cut it to size, then peal off the backing and stick it right on to the plastic reflector surface of the light assembly. It does make a big difference.

I did it on my old Mustang. The original silver paint on the reflectors had worn off so I put this tape on. This is no lie -- the very next night a cop pulled me over and told me that my rear turn signals were too bright. So, I took out the white bulbs and put amber bulbs in to avoid being hassled again.

Comment

Originally posted by grandwagon View Post
                  how did you get the tail lights apart??? aren't the two halves glued together???? i would like to do this but dont want to brake a tail light in the process!!!!!!!!!!
                  I've never tried to take my box tail lights apart, but I did on my foxbody mustang. I don't remember how they were held on, but I think I remember that there were some small metal friction clips that held the lenses on. You can carefully pry the lens off with a screw driver.

Comment

Hell yea! awesome Idea and I second the Mylar tape

Comment

here is an AWESOME write up of something similar being done while doing a sequential turn signal mod, I think this will help the grand marq guys as well.
                      http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/buckets.html
                      awesome idea's guys! Perhaps a relay mod much like the one used for headlights might work for taillights as well?
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

They must be blocking the site from work. I'll have to check it out at home. Sequential light would be cool!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                        George Burns

Comment

Took mine appart and painted the inside with a very shiny silver. Think it was a Vett color. Didnt think that was the best. Loaded my gun with medium silver flake and clear. Its like having a million mirrors. Have given some thought about sequencal.
                          and led bulbs or squares. Performance is a bit more important with me though.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by turbo2256b; 11-12-2012, 09:10 AM.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Think there are some sequencial kits in Mustang restore parts sites
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I had a sequential kit, actually cut it back out of the car that got wrecked sitting at my mechanic's. Still have it lying around.
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X