do Mustang headers fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do Mustang headers fit?

I know they physically fit, and i've searched but no found this answer: do factory fox Mustang headers bolt up to the Panther downpipes? I read somewhere the downpipes are 2.25" into the cats, and I don't know what size Mustang downpipes are so I don't know what size the collector diameter is.

I'd like to have a shop make new downpipes, catless and i'll use cheap fox headers so I can bolt it to my fairly new Walker exhaust. I'd rather not have a shop have to make downpipes going from 2.5, 2.25 to 2 since that would probably be expensive. I just want to add headers and new downpipes so I can get rid of all exhaust restriction, then get mufflers and be done with it. I'm wanting to gain a couple mpg out of it since gas is effing rediculous.

Btw would a shop easily be able to weld 2.25" in/out mufflers in 2" exhaust? I would like Thrush Welded mufflers but they dont come in 2", and the cheapest chambered 2" mufflers are almost $50 Jones Full Boars.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

mustang headers work. you will either need custom down pipes made up, or buy a mustang H pipe. this is a healthy mod, that helps the engine breathe. it will also help with exhaust note.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
      I know they physically fit, and i've searched but no found this answer: do factory fox Mustang headers bolt up to the Panther downpipes?
      No offense, but you did some very bad searching then.

Also, No.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

what if you have dual exhuast with an h pipe from the factory. will the headers bolt up to my existing exhuast
        1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
        1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

I searched for Mustang headers and found threads of people asking if they fit, but I didn't see anywhere if they'd bolt up to factory downpipes. Also since they don't (didn't think they would) does anyone know the collector size? I mean I know I could just measure once I get them but i'd just like to know what i'm getting into. If they're 2.5" I may just wait and do a whole 2.5" system later on, looking for an Explorer engine to rebuild.

Edit: 84merc that was my question, if they'd bolt up to factory Panther exhaust and they won't apparently. Single or dual, the downpipes are all the same. The solution is like marquisman said, Mustang H-pipe or custom made. I can't find any offroad Mustang H-pipes that are 2.25" (not sure if factory are even 2.25" or 2.5") and since I don't want larger than 2.25" on my stock lopo, custom downpipes seem to be the way to go for me.
          Last edited by 88Vic; 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

they will kinda bolt up, but they'll leak so much it would be useless and a waste of time. If you have the flanges changed to those of a mustang pipe, then it would work no problem.

Comment

WHAT ABOUT GETTING HEADERS FROM A 1990 TOWNE. i thought i remember someone running this set up before with no major exhuast changes required.
              1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
              1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

idk they didnt put headers on town cars right. what the hell is a lincoln log then. just a regular manifold then.

Comment

90 Town Car manifolds, AKA Lincoln Logs, are tubular manifolds. They probably flow a bit better than the stock cast iron logs, and are significantly lighter. They bolt up 100% to the factory downpipes, and also somewhat clear the plugs on gt40p heads. They are the best bet if you want to use your factory exhaust, but I doubt they flow even as good as even factory stang headers.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                    90 Town Car manifolds, AKA Lincoln Logs, are tubular manifolds. They probably flow a bit better than the stock cast iron logs, and are significantly lighter. They bolt up 100% to the factory downpipes, and also somewhat clear the plugs on gt40p heads. They are the best bet if you want to use your factory exhaust, but I doubt they flow even as good as even factory stang headers.

you happen to know of anyone selling a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                      I know they physically fit, and i've searched but no found this answer: do factory fox Mustang headers bolt up to the Panther downpipes? I read somewhere the downpipes are 2.25" into the cats, and I don't know what size Mustang downpipes are so I don't know what size the collector diameter is.

I'd like to have a shop make new downpipes, catless and i'll use cheap fox headers so I can bolt it to my fairly new Walker exhaust. I'd rather not have a shop have to make downpipes going from 2.5, 2.25 to 2 since that would probably be expensive. I just want to add headers and new downpipes so I can get rid of all exhaust restriction, then get mufflers and be done with it. I'm wanting to gain a couple mpg out of it since gas is effing rediculous.

Btw would a shop easily be able to weld 2.25" in/out mufflers in 2" exhaust? I would like Thrush Welded mufflers but they dont come in 2", and the cheapest chambered 2" mufflers are almost $50 Jones Full Boars.
                      Summit welded mufflers come in 2.0 inch...

There are also Summit street and strip mufflers that I am considering buying. They're dirt cheap and I think they might be a little louder then the Summit welded. They are 2.25 inch and up. I do think muffler shops have any trouble adapting mufflers to pipe of different sizes. I believe the machine they have can expand the pipe or shrink the muffler or whatever. Thinking about those Jones Full Boars too... they seem pretty loud.

Comment

Originally posted by 84merc951 View Post
                        WHAT ABOUT GETTING HEADERS FROM A 1990 TOWNE. i thought i remember someone running this set up before with no major exhuast changes required.
                        I ran those on my engine right after I swapped it in. I used those so I could keep my stock exhaust on my car. Stupid GT40P heads and their weird spark plug angles. I think Lincolnmania still has mine when I upgraded my exhaust. Talk to him. Only thing is I stole the studs from the collector for my new (to me) GT40P headers...

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          they will kinda bolt up, but they'll leak so much it would be useless and a waste of time. If you have the flanges changed to those of a mustang pipe, then it would work no problem.

By this do you mean, say, cut the flanges off the box downpipes and have Mustang type flanges welded on in their place?

Is it simply a matter of flange size/shape? Or is it also the angle that they're at, relative to the end of the Mustang manifolds?
                          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

different size flange i think. need a different flange welded to the downpipes of your panther.
                            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ok here is a very simple way to do it, get mustang shorty headers of chocie, mustang offroad h pipe, impy tails and what not bolt together presto you now have a new exhuast
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X