No announcement yet.

do Mustang headers fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got mine to sit high enough up, about where the stock stuff is.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      The issue is almost completely the downpipes before the cats on the mustang stuff. That's the only part that is screwed up. If you have some welding ability it's an easy fix, but if you can weld then buying 2 cats and a universal piping kit might be cheaper...
      That's what I was getting at. I was thinking of getting a Pypes X-pipe kit; perhaps one with cutouts attached, for this purpose. Though, I am giving some thought to searching the '60s Ford mid-sized sedans for longtubes. Some of those cars have fairly narrow engine bays, so there might be a set of headers that might sorta fit. I know many of us have tried this before, but I will see what I can find.

Packman

Comment

Ok another unrelated question, I asked before but can't find the thread I asked it in, brain fart. Do 302 headers fit on a 351? I thought about a 351 swap and it looks like only BBK has 351 swap Mustang headers, haven't found any others.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

The 351 headers go down and farther from the heads to accomodate for the 351 being taller and wider. you MIGHT be able to run custom downpipes from a 302 header on a 351W but they will NOT bolt up to a stock-location mustang exhaust system.

FWIW I and at least 2 others run 351 BBK swap headers and (aside from some quality control issues Brown Muscle had) they fit and work well.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The other reason to use 351 swap headers is to gain extra clearance near the evaporator case. I have a suspicion that with 302 headers, it would put the collector awfully close to that plastic box, possibly close enough to melt it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah now that I think of it, I doubt it'd work. I have less than an inch clearance as it is.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

351 swap headers are designed to mate up to the stock exhaust location; I used em on my TC. You can use 302 headers on a 351 but they wont mate up to your pipes without mods on one or the other

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

For Pantera77

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  90 Town Car manifolds, AKA Lincoln Logs, are tubular manifolds. They probably flow a bit better than the stock cast iron logs, and are significantly lighter. They bolt up 100% to the factory downpipes, and also somewhat clear the plugs on gt40p heads. They are the best bet if you want to use your factory exhaust, but I doubt they flow even as good as even factory stang headers.

Sorry to drag up an older thread here but I have a question for Pantera77. I'm looking for some factory headers to go on a 88 Tbird 5.0 Sport. I need to find some like the middle ones in the picture you posted on this thread and this was the only picture of these type that I've been able to find. I'd like to know what kind and years of vehicle those cam on because I need the ones with the O2 sensor bung on left and right headers. Thanks.

Comment

I've never seen those headers with O2 bungs... Probably a set of mustang headers with a bung welded on. I'd just get aftermarket headers, some longer O2 sensors, a mustang H-pipe and custom midpipes for the bird.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      I've never seen those headers with O2 bungs... Probably a set of mustang headers with a bung welded on. I'd just get aftermarket headers, some longer O2 sensors, a mustang H-pipe and custom midpipes for the bird.
                      Yep, these were for my 87 Colony Park which has custom made downpipes and H pipe, but has no o2 bungs in them. The previous owner just welded some 02 bungs on the headers instead. I actually replaced them with the set of headers underneath them in that pic, and you can see where I also welded some 02 bungs in the collectors of them.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                      X