rocker arm torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocker arm torque

what's the torque spec for stock rocker arm bolts?

is it just spinning the pushrod with one hand and tightening by feel? or is it an actual spec? i've seen 20 ft lbs for some windsors
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-01-2012, 11:35 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

with pedestal mount rockers you actually have to torque them down, the push rod feel method is for stud mount rockers
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Turn the engine by hand with a big wrench, until the engine is at TDC for #1. Back off rocker arm nuts until you can turn the pushrods with your fingers freely.
      Tighten the nut down gradually, while constantly turning the pushrod with your fingers, until you can no longer rotate the pushrod.
      Tighten another one and a half turns.
      Rotate engine to next cylinder in the firing order to TDC, repeat.this is how ive always done it. i think your in the right range for what the torque should be. no more than 30 foot pounds for sure.
      1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
      1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Gudntight. German torque spec. I always just snug em with my air ratchet and off I go.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

My 85 spec book (if that makes any difference) shows 18-25 foot pounds.

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Tighten the nut down gradually, while constantly turning the pushrod with your fingers, until you can no longer rotate the pushrod.
            Tighten another one and a half turns.
            That description makes it easy to overtighten a pedestal rocker. A few guys I know who did that ended up over-tightening because they have the grip of a linebacker. I prefer to tell people now, spin it until you just feel the rocker start to cause drag on the pushrod. Then add a 1/2 turn.

Alex.

Comment

you can also wiggle it up and down and side to side till you feel zero lash. meaning just before the push rod starts to push down on the lifter. make sure you rotate the crank because you cannot adjust a rocker with the lifter on its up position. hope this helps. i do 25 foot pounds on fords
              1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
              1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

Its a 5/16" bolt. Do not use air tools on that, or you're quite likely to snap it. Ditto with a turn and a half past zero lash. There is no adjustment on these. You can't find zero lash and then turn the bolt down some number of turns beyond that point. Its not a Chevy. With a pedestal mount Ford, you simply torque it down to 20-25 ft/lb and call it good. If its not good, then the pushrod length needs to be changed, or the pedastals need to be shimmed, depending on the particulars. The only way to know its not right is to use a dial indicator to figure out your lifter preload, and marking compound on the valve stem to see the rocker contact pattern.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Its a 5/16" bolt. Do not use air tools on that, or you're quite likely to snap it. Ditto with a turn and a half past zero lash. There is no adjustment on these. You can't find zero lash and then turn the bolt down some number of turns beyond that point. Its not a Chevy. With a pedestal mount Ford, you simply torque it down to 20-25 ft/lb and call it good. If its not good, then the pushrod length needs to be changed, or the pedastals need to be shimmed, depending on the particulars. The only way to know its not right is to use a dial indicator to figure out your lifter preload, and marking compound on the valve stem to see the rocker contact pattern.

thanks. oil on threads?
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                    thanks. oil on threads?
                    Oil on the threads would skew the torque. Dry torque...

Comment

yes oil on the threads. Dry threads will bind. It shouldn't be pouring off, but you don't want the bolt dry either.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X