CA smog >=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA smog >=(

Yo fellas is great to be back on the forum.

i passed all the emmissions, gas cap, and gas tank test.
    which was great

but the guy couldnt find the timing marks on the balancer.... he wouldnt charge me for the test.
    i went to to the store and put white marks on the 0,10,20,30 on the balancer.

i went back to the smog guy and he found that the car was timed at 25 degrees at idle. he also could not find a *sprout* to remove a *black wire* from which he said he had to remove inorder to time the car properly.

long story short. he couldn't pass me b/c he couldnt time the car.....

this is the first time this has happened, maybe other smog guys didnt give a damn about the timing

question: where is the sprout and so called black wire to remove inorder to time the car?!
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

welcome back. you still have the cfi right. if you time the car with spout still on the timing will be high. the spout is on the same wire loom for the tfi on the distributor. it has a plastick piece that you pull out of it to close the circuit or what ever. you still have the edelbrock manifold?
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

yea i still got the cfi, hoping to upgrade to sefi or throw in a full efi roller engine with all the smog crap..... i still have the edelbrock manifold.
      so your saying if i remove that connector that is attached to the distributor it will reduce the timing?!
      sigpic
      67 Ltd tudor
      67 Ltd 4door
      85 Ltd 4door

Comment

you dont remove the harness from the tfi the spout connect lays on top the same wire loom. looks like this
        http://www.google.com/imgres?q=ford+...t:429,r:1,s:18
        1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
        1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

how did the edelbrock do on the cfi. any changes. sorry to ask but i think your the only one on here thats done that to a cfi and am courious as i my self has cfi

Comment

it did pretty good when you floor it or are aiming to pick up and go or to get on the free ways here in california.

it would definately benefit with better heads, cam, and a mega squirt system to adjust the a/f ratios

on my lopo 5.0 im not complaining.
            sigpic
            67 Ltd tudor
            67 Ltd 4door
            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Your smog guy is really going by the book... what a pain in the ass. I never have had a smog tech check my timing. I wouldn't want them monkeying with it anyways. If it passes and looks stock let it go... come on.

The timing will read about 10 degrees higher with the spout connector plugged in.

Comment

spout on a 85 is a round one wire plug near the distributor mang

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Can we see some pictures of that Edelbrock intake, cfi setup please.

Comment

here's a link on how to set the timing

http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=71

88 Country Squire
                    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
                    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

and here's one with panther-specific pictures, including a pic of the CFI SPOUT connector

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00166.html
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I passed. car did very well, now i gota find out why i only get 15mpg.... i think im going to bump up the timing. already replaced the rotor,cap, plugs,wires, fuel filter.
                        sigpic
                        67 Ltd tudor
                        67 Ltd 4door
                        85 Ltd 4door

Comment

my 88 only gets 14 around town on a good day. typical is 13. I know I'm probably getting a little blow-by on combustion due to the tired engine. only about 105psi per cyl. they're all that way though... so it's still balanced well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X