Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from the UK

Hi Guys

I have been reading lots of info about these great cars on your site over the weekend, I am looking at buying a 1985 Mercury Grand Marquis which is for sale here in the UK, this is the ebay item number 290694487842 on the Uk site, let me know what you think.

Is there anything major to look out for on this model, except the bad fuel economy of course, but this only going to be a Sunday car anyway, what do you think it's worth?

Hopefully I will win the auction and I am sure I am going to be asking lots of questions from you guys with the knowledge.

cheers
    Mark

I'd expect it to need a timing set. Those typically came with a plastic cam gear and they're not known for lasting over 20 years very well.
    Expect to have to change all fluids and rubber things (hoses - heater/vacuum/etc, bushings, etc).
    If the trans fluid isn't a nice bright red, expect it to need service.
    There's some other things to check as well I'm sure.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome! I would say check for leaks and especially over there check for rust.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I have been told the bottom of the doors are a little rusty and gearbox is a little slow to change up when cold, so probably needs a fluid change.
          I will let you know if I win the car, and report on the real condition of it.

Comment

Welcome! How far is the car from your location?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Hello there!
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis "Shelley"

-- Donated and gone to auction

Comment

Welcome, from the Netherlands!
                Click on picture to see the video!

My other cars: 1986 Mustang GT 1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 2dr hrtp under construction

Comment

Working...
                X