Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84 lincoln aod not shifting into second gear. HELP! will not go into second gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try some trans x. its like sea foam just for transmissions and works great. +1 on what gadget said 84 is cfi with the standard aod with rod and is what i have in the tudor
    1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
    1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

If the rod falls off you just won't have od. And its shifts really late.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        No vacuum modulator unless you have a very early model with a C4. No AOD has one of those.

TBI is GM's name for it. Ford called it CFI, or Central Fuel Injection. Effectively the same design, electronic carb-like apparatus with a fuel infector in the middle of it.
        I just went with my neighbor to amco with my car, the guy drove it around and felt the tv linkage while it was running and was moving it back and forth,and said there was a vibration when you felt it,after moving it around a lot the vibration stopped. We drove it around again and nothing. He took it back to the shop and jacked the back end up and put it into drive and it started shifting into second. HE said its the friction plates. Which now that I think about it, it makes sense. But I was thinking it was a stuck valve or bad servo,since it pushes and activates the 1-2 band, I thought the band wasn't engaging all the way. But he's helping me out since he knows my neighbor, he's going to completely rebuild and update the parts in the transmission for 850$ and get a warranty for it. After that I'll just have to get a converter so the old sedimate doesn't get back into the new parts and contaminate it all. Then hopefully it's all good then.

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
          Servos yes. Solenoids no. Nothing electronic on this transmission.

Running it without the tv bushing is bad news...

There is a return spring for the tv rod up by the throttle body... you could make sure you have that. Make sure the spring is there and the tv rod quickly and completely returns to the throttle plate.
          whats your opinion on aamco,because the guy is a master mechanic there,my neighbor knows him personally,and the guy quoted me 850$ for a full rebuild plus updating the parts. He told me it wasn't shifting because the friction plates were worn out. Because with it jacked up on the back end it started shifting fine.

Comment

aamco around here are rip-offs and don't do repairs for crap. You're lucky if they can get an oil change right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The guy that rebuilt my trans works at an Aamco or Cottman, not sure which now, but he does transmissions on the side. I'd have no qualms having another trans done by him, but I probably wouldn't go by the store to get it done. If he's doing it as a side job, likely he'll spend more time on it and be more thorough than just a basic bare minimum rebuild like the big chains tend to do.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                aamco around here are rip-offs and don't do repairs for crap. You're lucky if they can get an oil change right.
                I'm liking that autobot symbol in your sig check this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	193971_1788151698548_1082228544_32086324_18285_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1269060

Comment

well the guy said he would change the case sleeves,the bushings,basically replace everything,and update everything, just not the converter,and I won't use the old one,just to make sure I won't ruin it again by getting crud in it from the inside of the old one. spending another 100$ for one is way better than having to spend another 850$ after just fixing it. Plus I've looked online at the reviews of the place and they all seemed positive about it. I was in the shop too watching him,and in the car as he drove it. It all seemed well what they did. So like I said, maybe this is 1-10000 shops that actually do their job.

Comment

That definitely would not fix my problem lol. The 1-2 friction plates are bad and need replaced, because with a load (on the ground) They don't grab and thats why it doesn't shift, but jack the back end up and act like your driving it normal, and it'll shift perfectly. Right after the aamco guy did that he immediately said it was the friction plate.

Comment

Originally posted by 84towncar View Post
                      I'm liking that autobot symbol in your sig check this out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32426[/ATTACH]
                      nice

I'm going to botcon next weekend since it's here in Dallas this year

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 84towncar View Post
                        Everything seems good, The whole time I've owned the car (about maybe 2 years) It hasn't had the bushing,and it would shift fine,as long as it was connected. As soon as it would fall off, it wouldn't shift into second until it goes about 45 mph.
                        I have recently bought (one) bushing with clip...rip off.. 13$. And it is on there now,but it didn't fix the problem. Nor did changing the filter and fluid. Here's a picture of the cables/rod assembly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32343[/ATTACH]
                        Judging by your picture your tv pressure is way out of adjustment. My tv screw adjustment is turned up way more than then that... mine is screwed a few more full turns then that. Your tv screw looks like it's adjusted all the way out= low pressure. Whoever decided not to use a tv bushing and monkey with the tv adjustment gave this trans an early retirement.

Comment

Judging by your picture your tv pressure is way out of adjustment. My tv screw adjustment is turned up way more than then that... mine is screwed a few more full turns then that. Your tv screw looks like it's adjusted all the way out= low pressure. Whoever decided not to use a tv bushing and monkey with the tv adjustment gave this trans an early retirement.
                          You might want to try turning the tv adjustment screw clockwise a couple full turns and see if you get any results. Maybe even three turns.

Comment

You might want to try turning the tv adjustment screw clockwise a couple full turns and see if you get any results. Maybe even three turns.
                            yeah i would try that too. mine was way out of adjustment on the 84 merc. i turned it 3 turns with great results. took all the slop out of shifting and lugging into gears but didnt fix my down shift issue.
                            1984 mercury grand marquis ls rebuilt 306 flat top pistons with factory cfi and lincoln headers with single glasspack dual snorkle air cleaner. Gloss black paint with slick top coversion.
                            1986 mercury grand marquis colony park 5.0 sefi dual exhuast thrush turbos with h pipe and turbines

Comment

your going to have to point out to me what exactly that is, I know nothing really on transmissions,just the general idea of them. Are you possibly talking about the "linkage" Just in front of the rod? That has the threaded bolt on it? If possible could that somehow fix the issue?

Comment

ok I gave it about 3 turns in and it did nothing for it. It made it somewhat harder to start though. Because it would start with one quick crank. Now it took two cranks. 3rd turns did nothing, drove it around to see. Did a 4th turn and it seemed like it was wanting to shift but gave up, it rose and lowered in rpm's slightly then didn't do anything but "neutral out". I just think it's odd how the 1-2 clutch plates could burn out like that and have no grab. When all the other gears are perfectly fine. But hey, it was worth a try at least. It made some kind of effort to try and shift, maybe it's telling me it doesn't want to die.

Comment

Working...
                                X