PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Where can you get those U-shaped keys to remove factory Ford radios?

Default Where can you get those U-shaped keys to remove factory Ford radios?

Where can you get the little U-shaped keys or whatever they're called for removing factory Ford radios from the dash?

Also, I think I've heard of people using bent coat hanger wire also -- anyone done this?

Thanks

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

you can get em at wallmart. or anywhere that sells car audio for that matter.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302 special blend (GMGT)- Summer fun
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 302 (Errand runner) Summer fun
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4.6L (Hustler) Summer Sunday cruiser
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited 4.6L (Un-named) Daily

Quote Originally Posted by marquisman View Post
    you can get em at wallmart. or anywhere that sells car audio for that matter.
    I had just called Car Toys and they said they didn't have them and had no idea where to get them. I figured if anyone had them, they would. But, I'll run up to Wally World and see if they have them. The problem with them is most of the time the sales associates are clueless -- if you can find one, that is.

I post a lot...

You local parts store will likely have them. They are common.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

The trash heap has spoken! Pesty351's Avatar

Anything metal that will fit in the holes will work. I usually use nails.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826

Thanks for all the info and help. I just ran up to Wally World. They had a set for $6.

By the way, how do you know if your radio is "code protected?" The instructions in the removal tools said that if your radio is "code protected" you will need a code to get the radio to work when you reinstall it after taking it out.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

that'd be on the modern ones. If its in a box, its definitely not code protected. I dont know when they started doing that though, probably late 1990s.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    that'd be on the modern ones. If its in a box, its definitely not code protected. I dont know when they started doing that though, probably late 1990s.
    One of the radios I'll be dealing with is in a '97 Aero Panther. Another is in a '00 Focus. They are both factory Ford radios.

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

What year car/make are we talking about?

Just saw the latest post - those are probably protected.

Quote Originally Posted by miamibob View Post
    What year car/make are we talking about?
    Hahaha! We posted the question and answer at exactly the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by miamibob View Post
    Just saw the latest post - those are probably protected.
    By protected, you mean I will need some sort of code to make them work? Where do I get the code and how do I enter it?

I think that is a "dealer issue" - not sure if there is a "hack" around it.

I post a lot...

The 97 panther should be no problem, no code. I do not know anything about The focus.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

"The finder of unobtainium and other magical items" zoomie's Avatar

as far as i know the focus has no code, i had one, but i never did put the stock radio back in though i doubt it has a code.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Can always call the dealer. If you get an honest Service Manager you're all set!

I want some grape drink baby, mmmm it's purple

I have an 03 focus and have had the radio in and out of it a ton and never had to put a code in.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it a lot. I got my $9 Ford 1.5 DIN Ford AM/FM bone yard radio installed in my '97 Aero, and it works great. I had to put another on/off/volume switch in it though because the original one wouldn't stay pushed in, so the radio was always "on." I found the same type of switch in another bone yard radio and swapped them.

I need to take my Focus radio out so I can see if I can fix the clock set button that somehow got pushed into the radio.

Thanks again for your help.