Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can you get those U-shaped keys to remove factory Ford radios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can you get those U-shaped keys to remove factory Ford radios?

Where can you get the little U-shaped keys or whatever they're called for removing factory Ford radios from the dash?

Also, I think I've heard of people using bent coat hanger wire also -- anyone done this?

Thanks

you can get em at wallmart. or anywhere that sells car audio for that matter.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      you can get em at wallmart. or anywhere that sells car audio for that matter.
      I had just called Car Toys and they said they didn't have them and had no idea where to get them. I figured if anyone had them, they would. But, I'll run up to Wally World and see if they have them. The problem with them is most of the time the sales associates are clueless -- if you can find one, that is.

Comment

You local parts store will likely have them. They are common.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Anything metal that will fit in the holes will work. I usually use nails.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the info and help. I just ran up to Wally World. They had a set for $6.

By the way, how do you know if your radio is "code protected?" The instructions in the removal tools said that if your radio is "code protected" you will need a code to get the radio to work when you reinstall it after taking it out.

Comment

that'd be on the modern ones. If its in a box, its definitely not code protected. I dont know when they started doing that though, probably late 1990s.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                that'd be on the modern ones. If its in a box, its definitely not code protected. I dont know when they started doing that though, probably late 1990s.
                One of the radios I'll be dealing with is in a '97 Aero Panther. Another is in a '00 Focus. They are both factory Ford radios.

Comment

What year car/make are we talking about?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Just saw the latest post - those are probably protected.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      What year car/make are we talking about?
                      Hahaha! We posted the question and answer at exactly the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                        Just saw the latest post - those are probably protected.
                        By protected, you mean I will need some sort of code to make them work? Where do I get the code and how do I enter it?

Comment

I think that is a "dealer issue" - not sure if there is a "hack" around it.

Comment

The 97 panther should be no problem, no code. I do not know anything about The focus.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

as far as i know the focus has no code, i had one, but i never did put the stock radio back in though i doubt it has a code.
                              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                              X