My 86 Townie (302 Windsor) was
- Idling smooth
- Missing badly (running rough) under light acceleration
- Running smooth under heaver acceleration
Finally found if I disabled the EGR valve - ran very smooth all the time.
I did this:
- Removed vacuum tube going to the EGR valve
- Plugged the vacuum tube. This means I did not add any new 'leak' into the vacuum system
My questions are:
- What could cause an EGR to make the car miss? I know an EGR adds exhaust gasses back into the intake.
- Is there anything I should do to the EGR valve in the way of servicing it? Is it worth cleaning, or is that a waste of time?
- Will replacing with a new EGR help? (Guess it won't if the computer system is telling it to open incorrectly?)
- Do EGR valves only have two positions - 100% shut and 100% closed .. or do they progressivley open?
- I know the EGR is just for pollution control. In Australia we have no smog checks ... so don't care if the exhaust gasses are wrong. But what if the EGR is disabled - is that bad in any other way for the engine?