Disable EGR and engine runs better ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gadget73:

I don't have a vacuum gauge but I can tell the duty cycle of the solenoid valve does cuase more and less vacuum.

Poor man's test #1
    -------------------
    Engine running at revs (EGR part open).
    Pulled vacuum tube off the EGR valve and quickly stuck my finger on the end of the vacuum tube. Could feel the (fast) pulses of the solenoid valve getting stronger and stronger while watching the pulse widths grow longer and longer as the computer tried to get the EGR valve to re-open.

Poor man's test #2
    -------------------
    Engine running at revs (EGR part open).
    Pulled vacuum tube off EGR valve.
    See pulses get wider - eventually going to 100%
    Put tube back on EGR.
    See pulses quickly wind back to 0% (as valve opens , then overshoots a bit I guess as vacuum was at 'max')
    See pulses widen out again to around 30% duty cycle.
    So - this says the vacuum was indeed changing on command from the computer - and the computer could get the EGR valve into the position it wanted.
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

Sounds valid enough. If you can verify that the vacuum that gets to the valve is in fact variable, then I'd say the regulator passes. I didn't have the scope on mine, just a voltmeter set to AC but it did show some change in average voltage as the pulse width increased so I had some ability to monitor what was going on. My scope runs on 120v and its a clunky CRT model, so its not especially practical to take with me in the car on a test run. A voltmeter with long leads and a vacuum gauge is about as much as I can deal with while driving. I'd like to get a nice small digital LCD scope, but thats years out when they get nearly free
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X