Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would cause a single "pop" when you turn on the radio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would cause a single "pop" when you turn on the radio?

I found a nice OEM Ford AM/FM radio out of a '96 CV, and I put it in my '97 that was missing a radio. It sounds great, looks great, and all the functions work great, but when I turn it on, there's a little "pop" in the speakers, then you hear the radio.

Although I'm not sure (I'll have to check), I believe my '97 has a factory amp in the trunk (it's a high end LS). I don't know if the donor car had an amp or not. And, I don't know if it will make any difference or not, but I thought I would mention it in case it did.

Could it be some sort of ground problem. I did notice that the radio has a small square two-pin plug on the back that was not used on the donor car. However, when digging around in the bone yard, I pulled a bunch of radios out of different Fords, and some of them had the same two-pin plug on the back and there was a connector from the harness plugged into it.

Could it be some sort of ground connection. Maybe not -- I would think a ground connection would be just a single wire. I don't know much about sound systems (as you can probably tell ).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Some of them just do that. i suspect its just the unit powering up. there is no speaker protection relay or anything like that to isolate the speakers from the amplifier as it powers up. Older solid state home stereos in the pre-relay days did exactly the same thing.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Some of them just do that. i suspect its just the unit powering up. there is no speaker protection relay or anything like that to isolate the speakers from the amplifier as it powers up. Older solid state home stereos in the pre-relay days did exactly the same thing.
      without the speaker protection relay or type of relay it would cause like for example an aftermarket radio to make a low screechy sound when driving with the radio all the way on 0?

Comment

no, but a bad alternator or bad filters in the radio could. So would bad grounding.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the amplifier chip in the aftermarket radio may also not be designed to run full tilt either and that may just be hiss from the amp. If this is on the pre-outs... see gadget's post.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X