power steering pump -- '91 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering pump -- '91 GM

My moms' '91 GM may need a new ps pump. I haven't had a chance to take a good look at it, yet. Since I work nights I rarely see the '91 anymore.

What's involved with changing out the pump? Should it take too long to replace? CarQuest said ~$60 for pump and reservoir with exchange.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 01-30-2006, 03:23 PM.

you will need the pulley puller, other than that it is 3 bolts, 1 fitting and one hose clamp. afterwards you will have to bleed the system.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

a little birdie told me that a regular 2-3 jaw puller wont work and will probably bend the pulley

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

gotta use a power steering pulley puller or you will destroy the pulley................you can rent one from autozone or advance.......also helps to have a set of line wrenches for the power steering hose

is it leaking or is it making noise?
        before you replace it, try flushing it and fill it up with fresh fluid and lucas power steering treatment........that stuff works wonders......slows down leaks too

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I think it's getting loud. I'll talk to her tomorrow and maybe check it out tomorrow night.

What's it take to flush the pump? How many quarts does it hold on a refill? Is there a filter on these pumps? I'll try my options before replacing it.

Comment

since you're gonna do the lines now would be a godo time to install a ps cooler

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/li...star/1270.html

Thats for a Windstar, but same idea. Just skip the part about the pump relay as you won't have one. I'm with Scott about trying some Lucas. It might just shut the pump up. Make sure the fluid level is full too, low PS fluid will make the pump moan like a French whore. The steering boxes commonly leak around the shaft that sticks out of the bottom where the pitman arm is so it wouldn't be surprising if its a little low or the fluid has some air bubbles in it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you came to my store to buy a pump, I would uninstall/install the pulley for you and give you a 20% discount
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Usually what happens is the pump or one of hoses starts leaking, the fluid gets low, then the fluid cavitates and the bearings starts to make noise from lack of lubrication. if it happens for very long the bearing will be damaged. This is why you hear a lot Ford cars/trucks make PS pump noise because the fluid is low or some one didnt proplerly bleed the system after adding fluid or working the PS system.

With that being said, go look at the car..... look for obvious PS system leaks. it maybe as simple as changing a hose. I find most times, the return line has gotten hard and wont seal anymore. Usually some new clamps and short piece of ATF rated rubber hose is a suitable replaement.
                  once the leaks are fixed, try flushing the system as Scott mentioned. use a long section of hose and a drain pan. cycle the engine on and off for very short periods (15 seconds) similar to the instructions in Thain's link.
                  If the PS system is seeping from the pump or the gear box, some lucas or similar stop leak is a good idea to slow/stop the leak.

a couple of pointers... use only ATF in a Ford PS system. Type F is the best, but dextron will work. DO NOT use regular, clear type PS fuild.
                  when you bleed the system, raise the front end and turn the steering wheel back and forth with the engine OFF. running the engine will damage the PS Pump if there is still a lot of air in the system.

If you determine it needs a new pump, you will have to remove the air box and alternator to get to the pump. I find its easier to remove the alternator bracket, but thats not a requirement.
                  Once the alternator off, you will have access to the pump bracket. you will also need some line wrenches as Scott mentioned to get the lines out of the PS box, you dont have to remove the return line, but I find it makes it easier to work on with both lines removed.
                  There 4 bolts that hold the PS bracket in place. 2 off the water pump and 2 long bolts that go into the head. Take those out and entire pump and bracket comes out.
                  when you go to buy the new pump, the parts store should be able to pull the pulley for you and swap the bracket to the new pump.
                  Then go home, install the pump, fill with fresh fluid and bleed the system.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

What happens if you use regular PS fluid?
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                      What happens if you use regular PS fluid?
                      Your balls will turn purple and you'll go blind.

Really, I have no idea, but the book and the service manual calls for ATF. I don't think PS fluid lubricates as well or something.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Talked to my mom tonight. She said it's just wining more than usual. I should get to check it out later in the week.

ATF? You mean Automatic Trans Fluid? In the PS pump? I didn't know that. What I've been using in the '88 is Motorvator PS Maintenance Fluid from K-mart. Seems to do alright.

Comment

PS fluid is all I have ever used, no problems so far
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

My yota has a sticker on the ps resivoir that calls for Dextron II :drug:

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

Factory service manual says Type F automatic transmission fluid. I think the dipstick says something about this or Dexron II. Not sure. I've actually never used power steering fluid in anything before.

Comment

Working...
                              X