No announcement yet.

power steering pump -- '91 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a look at the freeze plugs on the side of the block and make sure they aren't seeping. If they are, get it dealt with ASAP before one blows on you. They usually build up a bunch of cruft and corrosion shit when they leak.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually, the antifreeze is showing up on the bottom of the lower radiator hose. There's always a drop hanging there. The hose is good (fairly new, too) and there is no sign of a leak around there. Is it possible to have a seeping type leak on a radiator hose, or would it just bust open?

Comment

Might just need to snug the clamp down a little. There might be some crunk between the radiator and the hose, and its seeping around that a little.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I should try that. I have a new PS Pump... but my dad broke the pully tool taking it off the other vic.
          1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
          -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
          Supermotors

Comment

:bump:

I replaced the ps pump on the '91 GM today, but the new pump is just as noisy as the old one. I thought I did the process right when filling the pump for the first time. Nothing appears to be leaking.

Would air in the system cause the noise? What can be done to remove the air (anything without buying the specialty tool?)? Could any damage be done if the car is driven this way?

Comment

there is no specialty tool monty......just drive it for a few days, if it dont shut up, get a bottle of lucas ps treatment and suck ps fluid out with a dollar store turkey baster and add half the bottle of the lucas.......quietness everytime

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I used a whole bottle of Lucas when filling the pump today. The car hasn't been driven much since the pump change. I'll see what happens over the next couple days.

Comment

keep driving lol........if it dont shut up, take the ps pump back and get a new one.......hope it isnt from autozone

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Got it at CarQuest. The one I put in the '88 GM is doing good. I guess you never know what you can end up with when it comes to this remanufactured stuff.

Comment

you need to bleed the air out of the system.

support front end on jack stands, with the engine off, turn steering wheel back and forth slowly. you will see the air bubbles coming out of the resivoir. when you dont see anymore bubbles you're done.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                      X