Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping speakers

Ok this was weird this is what I have

1988 town car originally had JBL system amp was bad so I bypassed it , I then found a silver premium sound amp and put it in and it worked ok

I have an aftermarket pioneer HU and replacement speakers in my doors and dash amp bypassed works excellent . I also at one point had the amp hooked up with this HU and it worked just fine , but I got scared of overloading and damaging the amp so I bypassed it .
    Today I tried a different pioneer HU with the RCA to gray cable adapter instead of the speaker level outputs and as soon as I turned the HU on the speakers started a rhythmic popping noise .. so I removed the RCA integration adapter and went back to a amp bypass mode and while I think it sounds fine I was wanting to use the amp and actually get another JBL to put back in the car .

What could have caused this ??? The aftermarket speakers maybe ? My memory is fuzzy on when I put the door and dash speakers in.
    sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

what ohms are your speakers rated at both premium sound and jbl amps run off 8 ohm impedence. you might need better speakers.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Probably the amp died from old age, though its possible it wasn't getting the proper switch-on signal. Not sure how it was hooked up but I believe there is a wire that needs to be switched to 12v to kick the amp on. The caps in those amps dry out and short and it can make them do all sorts of stupid crap when that happens.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sounds like the amp is dead. like gadget said, these amps do weird stuff when they die. iv even had one continusly turn on and off lol. and yes, the regular silver/black box amp has three wires for powering up. switched power, constant power and ground.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Probably the amp died from old age, though its possible it wasn't getting the proper switch-on signal. Not sure how it was hooked up but I believe there is a wire that needs to be switched to 12v to kick the amp on. The caps in those amps dry out and short and it can make them do all sorts of stupid crap when that happens.
          Thanks , it was playing music while the popping was happening , I should have mentioned that

It was hooked up with all factory wires at the amp , the "turn on " wire was hooked to the "amp on" blue with white stripe wire from the back of the Pioneer .

I have a line on a JBL amp ,I'll see what happens when I get it.
          I'll try again, I have extra Pioneer pigtails and the schosce /metra adapter harnesses so it only takes seconds to try different configurations .

If it doesnt work I'll just live without an amp
          sigpic

Comment

I have that issue with my radio, but only the right side does it.

Comment

UPDATE :: I got a JBL amp and hooked it up , no popping but the left rear channel was fuzzy / crackly and it only played for about 3 minutes and the fuse popped , I tried another fuse and the same thing happened , so I am back to a bypassed amp and the Pioneer head unit.
              sigpic

Comment

Mine turned out to be a dud right rear speaker. Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

Comment

Working...
                X