Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Variable rate springs for the front?

Hi,

Since I am gearing up for the brake swap in the 89 wagon, it is a good time to think about springs. I read a number of posts here on springs and came out as confused as i went in. It appears there are two numbers for springs. Is the first the weight it supports? What is the second?

I think I really like variable rate springs. I am fairly sure that is what came on my 93 GM sport and the Marauder. I do not want to feel every little bump as the roads around here are deplorable. Yet I want the car to handle well. What would happen if I just got springs from a CV/GM with the handling package? If they are still available that is.

I appreciate recommendations.

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

I checked fordparts.com and found ten possible springs for the front of a 96 Crown Vic. The site recommends I use a vin number to select the correct spring, but I do not currently own a CV or Gm sport.

Any input ?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The Marauder has different springs dude. Completely different front suspension...

Comment

Yes 03 and up is the new suspension. I am trying. to find out if all the "sport" cars used variable rate springs for the front. Then if that is true, try to find a variable spring for the wagon.

I never seem to get the wagon to ride like an aero or whale vic with the sport package. I really like the ride and handling of the sports so I want to get as close as possible in the box. They always seem to take the small bumps with barely a ripple but still not wag around much.

Jay
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Yes 03 and up is the new suspension. I am trying. to find out if all the "sport" cars used variable rate springs for the front. Then if that is true, try to find a variable spring for the wagon.

I never seem to get the wagon to ride like an aero or whale vic with the sport package. I really like the ride and handling of the sports so I want to get as close as possible in the box. They always seem to take the small bumps with barely a ripple but still not wag around much.

Jay
          Maybe because it's a wagon and it's not supposed to handle any other way?
          If you want sport suspension, get a sport panther, and swap your wagon body onto it.
          If I'm not mistaken, sport packages used rear air springs. Including the touring sedan and TownCars. TownCar front springs should be the same as the Vic front springs to my knowledge, they may have a different spring rate as compared to that of a Grand Marquis or a Crown Victoria... Since they utilize all the same suspension parts, they should be a direct swap. Retrofitting an air bag suspension in the rear may prove to be a big hassle but is definitely doable.

Comment

i have police spec gabrial gaurdians front and kyp police spec out back for shocks, with stock springs up front and limo springs in the rear car rund over bumps and stuff now with no issues
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Thunderbird supercoupe rear springs....

Or some straight rate around 5-700 lbs should still ride decent and handle better. Whales are much heavier and the springs will be too stiff and tall.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well the reg on the Marauder reads 3,991lbs and the wagon reads 3,839. Pretty close overall but the wagon has more weight in the back. Also the Marauder has the lighter front suspension. What does a typical lx box sedan and pre 03 whale lx sedan weigh?

As far as the air springs, I believe all the sports came with those to the best of my knowledge. That would be a great upgrade as I believe the ride would improve significantly over the air shocks which are a bit firm. I think that would really make the car as far as ride goes.

Now I think I have everything for the brake upgrade and could reuse the springs that are in there as they are only about 11 years and 45k old. I have no idea what the rates are. They were installed by sears the second day I had the car.

Am I right that there are two numbers secified for springs? Is the first some sort of weight number? The second? Does any one know if or where I can get the spring rates of the various ford springs?
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Use wagon cargo coils rear and police front. The cargo coils are 225lb variable rate and police are 700lb, which is stiffer front and rear than stock.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

If you want a newer feeling suspension you'll probably have to swap the front and rear end (or rear end modification)? My 97 MGM had a very large sway bar on the front with ball and socket end links, and a rear sway with old style end links (but end links nevertheless). The 03's the same at least plus the strut/alloy/rack&pinion stuff in the front.

Oh and the gearbox. The 98 cpvi gearbox I stuck in the 85 is radically different from stock.

Pete
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I was just thinking about the sway bar. If I remember right the sway on the boxes attaches to the lower control arm? The sway on the 97-02 attaches to the spindles? The wagon has a nice big bar in the front. I wonder how much of a diference that would make? I (without any real basis) figured most of the ride feel would be in the springs, shocks wheels and tires.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

my in-laws' 01 vic has the watts link. after I put the new shocks in the rear... that things a treat to drive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          I was just thinking about the sway bar. If I remember right the sway on the boxes attaches to the lower control arm? The sway on the 97-02 attaches to the spindles? The wagon has a nice big bar in the front. I wonder how much of a diference that would make? I (without any real basis) figured most of the ride feel would be in the springs, shocks wheels and tires.

Swaybars make a HUGE difference. night and day, in terms of initial cornering response and ride quality when only one side hit the bump (think pothole vs. speedbump)

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Oh yes sways sure help, but would it make an appreciable difference going to a more modern sway that links to the spindle vs the heavy existing one that links to the control arm?
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I run a 98-02 addco 1 1/4" front bar with 1000 lb front springs, the bar made a huge difference over the stock bar.

And the addco mounts the same as the old ones, using a standard endlink, not the balljoint type as the normal 98-02
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X