Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whole k code or not? also these spacers......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whole k code or not? also these spacers......

There's a Vic in the pick-n-pull with a k code rear end. I just want to know if it's worth taking the whole thing or not. I would imagine it has the 11" drums since that should be a tow package car (hard to tell, not sure what tells for sure since the car's been gone through) but I can do without the bigger brakes if that's the only advantage.

I'd much rather take the ring and pinion and the limited slip carrier out of the rear and swap it into mine, be a lot less work and cheaper. I can get a shop manual to figure out how to get it out but i'm not even gonna try to do the install, differentials are so out of my league it's not even the same sport.

And I checked Summit for spacers to help even out the narrow rear, would these fit over the wheel hubs? Looks like kind of a universal spacer from the pic but it says works with 5x4.5 so i'd assume if it fits over the hubs they'll work. Also it says sold as kit, that means individually right, i'd need to order two? Link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL44123/
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

To me sold as a kit means two. You can't use them though because you would need to install longer wheel studs onto your axle.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

no that's racing junk
      harvest a 92 up rear, they are an inch wider and take the gears and trac lock out of the other car, screw the drums, do rear discs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
        no that's racing junk
        harvest a 92 up rear, they are an inch wider and take the gears and trac lock out of the other car, screw the drums, do rear discs
        Rear discs saved our lives in Georgia. Had it not been for them, we would've lost Scott's Lincoln and maybe our lives. Disc brakes!

Comment

So if I want spacers I need ones that have studs as well, makes sense since there's not an inch to spare on the stock studs. Must not have been thinking straight last night, that's pretty obvious :p

So maybe these would work since they have studs included: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CAL-75809/

Comment

So if I want spacers I need ones that have studs as well, makes sense since there's not an inch to spare on the stock studs. Must not have been thinking straight last night, that's pretty obvious :p

So maybe these would work since they have studs included: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CAL-75809/

Comment

really should get hubcentric spacers though. Which those are not.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What's the advantage of hubcentric spacers?

Also can anyone answer my other question about just getting the gears out of a k code instead of the whole rear unit?

Comment

you can take the gears out and put them in yours... but you will need a few special tools to work out the backlash and also shims for the carrier bearings to adjust the backlash. swapping the whole axle doesn't require special tools.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I wouldn't install it myself, just removal from the junkyard rear.

Comment

swapping the whole axle also gets you rear disc... which is way better than even the big drums.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Drums suck. With disc brakes there's no constant adjusting... The only drum brake you'll have in the car will be your parking brake, which is pretty much what they're only good for...

Comment

I just drive to and from work in the car, I drive to work after midnight so the roads are empty so I go as slow as I want, coming home I don't rush either. We don't hardly have any massive hills so no need to ride the brakes much at all so the drums are fine, if fact I haven't touched the brakes since I bought the car, I bet the drums are factory stuff considering the car spent most of its life hibernating in a garage. I just want the gears, I don't want to buy 16" wheels, I can't find any cheap ones and 16" tires are more expensive as well, so I can't justify getting an aero rear end.

I just want the gears and limited slip carrier and spacers. I'm getting some Centerline wheels from a guy for $100 on saturday which are 15x7, which is cheaper than anyone is selling 16" wheels, even factory ones. Plus I like RWL tires which I can mount to these.

Comment

16" rims are required when doing the big brake swap, not a rear disc swap.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Must has misread that somewhere, but at any rate i'm most likely gonna keep this rear end, I haven't found any 3.55 limited slip aero rears in the junkyard and i'm really itching to put lower gears in this thing, the lopo is such a slug when it shifts into third. It pulls fine in 1st and 2nd but 3rd is so much higher than 1-2 it falls on it's face unless i'm pushing it to 3 grand at each shift. I also really need to get off my ass and get a tach to find out exactly where this thing is shifting.

Comment

Working...
                              X