Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with bastard block.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis with bastard block.

Is there anything that you can upgrade to get more power out of a bastard block 4.6? Or is it a good idea to upgrade to a 302? I'm planing this as a 3 to 5 year project.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Originally posted by pivichot View Post
    Is there anything that you can upgrade to get more power out of a bastard block 4.6? Or is it a good idea to upgrade to a 302? I'm planing this as a 3 to 5 year project.
    302 all the way. Fuck that modular junk. 302 HO. Bolts right up to the AOD. 302 can be swapped in in a weekend. It's the wiring that takes long. I've driven the 302 powered 92 Grand Marquis. It just goes!

The other option is to rebuild the Bastard short block, throw PI heads and intake on it, and modify the throttle body for the cruise and transmission TV cable.

Comment

Responses are going to be split down the middle most places, here they will be slanted towards the pushrod 5 liter. I can't say which motor is better but I'm more familiar with the 5.0...I think it's the case with most people here as well, but they'll tell you the 302 is better anyway.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

swap in a 351w (it'll bolt up) and go to town with upgrades on that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

EFI 351 please. I don't want to see a carb anywhere near 92+

Comment

preferably a roller (94/95) 351 too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

there are a few other things to swap with a 302, namely the motor mounts and the trans crossmember, but its not that horrific. I dont think you can do much to the bastard block motor, and changing it to one you can do something with involves a trans swap and a shitload of wiring. The 302 EFI harness is child's play compared to the modular harness. If you were doing a 351 swap, likely the 302 harness is still going to be your starting point since the 302 and 351 are pretty much the same as far as where things sit on the engine.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was mostly towards the 302 swap since I saw Scotts 302 powered 92 Grand Marquis. Which Ecu from which car should I use? My idea is to buy an engine from a junkyard, I will check it before to make sure nothing is cracked. I basically want to build the engine from the bottom up. Aren't the engines from the 85 and up grand marquis roller engines? Also I would need to build a strong AOD. Now about gears in the differential. I want this car to be my daily driver. I don't do highway miles. Which type of gears are better for city driving and still feel the performance. The thing that I am not sure yet is about which headers will fit for the engine on the car and also the AC on how to make it work with the 302.
                Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
                sigpic

Comment

86 and up for sure. i don't know that all 85s were.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

4.6 performance parts are expensive!

my engine just happened to be out of a 92 cougar.

3.73 gears are on my list of things to do to the 92

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

one question. how much mpg does you car do Scott? Right now with the bastard block I am getting between 10-12 in city.
                      sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pivichot View Post
                          Right now with the bastard block I am getting between 10-12 in city.
                          That's terrible mpg for a 4.6 My barge TC probably averages the same city mpg with the 6.6, which doesn't matter too much because it's not a daily driver.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

sounds like it's got some issues with mileage like that. even with a heavy foot my 302 with original o2 sensors isn't that hard on fuel around town.
                            sigpic

Comment

it does like 16-20 mpg.......sorry i dont drive in the city but i do in mountains, it will do 20 easy on the highway

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X