PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R134 fittings question

I post a lot...

Default R134 fittings question

Hi!

Got a question for you guys.

I had my a/c converted to r134 a couple years ago, before I knew about cars.
    They replaced the required components (condenser, evaporator, and accumulator...?), so I'm told,
    but left the R12 fittings on it.
    I know there are adaptors, probably they used them.

It's time for a recharge-- cold but not icy cold.

I bought R134 fittings at the local parts store.
    Looks like they're threaded.

SO, if I unthread the R12 fittings, will my system just vent everything to atmosphere?
    Or are those fittings schrader valve protected, I can unscrew them, screw in the r134 fittings, and proceed with the recovery/charge machine as per normal?

Let me know before I break those fittings free! I won't know if there's a schrader valve underneath until it's too late!

Thanks,
    -Bernard

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Shouldn't be an issue. The fittings are like tire valve caps. Remove and replace with the new fittings. Since the fittings are different sizes (by design) how did they put the R134a in and service the system with the old fittings? Something here isn't right!

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Good R134a fittings require you remove the shraeder valve from the accumulator. The new fitting should have one in it. High side you just thread onto your existing fitting.

Also, I'm willing to bet they used Freeze 12 or some R12 replacement other than R134a.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

I post a lot...

Ah! Nevermind-- there is an R134 fitting on the low side. The high side is just threaded like a tire valve stem. My kit looks like it can thread on to that, however.
    Sounds like someone did do r134 then.

How many pounds r12 did these take?

If I put in r134a, how many pounds of that should i do? (that is to say, with r134a, do I put in more or fewer pounds than was originally called for with r12...)?

thanks!

Need to know EXACTLY what is currently in the system and what the system should take. R134a is usaully 80% volume of R12.

DO NOT MIX.
    Period.
    They are NOT compatible with each other. If you mix, the system will pretty much dissolve due to the acid that is created.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I assumed the R12 was COMPLETELY removed and the right oil put in with the R134a.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Look on the fan shroud it should have a label for that. I looked up the capacity on Mitchell, and according to them our systems take 3.25 pounds of R12. So 80% of that will be what you fill your system to with R134a.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

Last time i recharged mine 134a the machine said it was 2 lbs 13 oz with eaister oil

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 1994 geo prizm lsi daily driver/work car
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

A retrofit is supposed to include a new label stuck under the hood somewhere with exactly how much of what was used.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

And if you got the label, take a photo of it. My label has faded and gotten so stained from oil spraying that I can't read it anymore, other than "ester oil".

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yeah they are usually just a paper label, filled out with ball point pen. 2-3 years later and you end up with a colored bit of paper that has no useful writing on it in a lot of cases.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

no papers on my vehicles... but they're all converted with proper fittings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by slymer View Post
    DO NOT MIX.
    Period.
    They are NOT compatible with each other. If you mix, the system will pretty much dissolve due to the acid that is created.
    No offense, but I think that much of the info on this blows the problem out of all proportion. I've seen many systems that were mixed and ran just fine... for YEARS. It is illegal, but it seems to work.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

I post a lot...

I bought the fittings kit at the local parts store for $15, comes with a label-- I filled it out myself (but did not add my name/address, as that would make it a legal document claiming that *I* legally did the conversion and was licensed to do so, and I'm not).
    Since it already had the low side R134a fitting, and I was told it was converted when I bought it, I figure it has been.

I recovered 1.5lbs, added back in 2.6lbs. Didn't actually see a huge difference, just a bit colder, but, it hasn't gotten truly hot here yet-- I may notice once we get 100deg weather in mid summer!
    And am just glad I didn't lock the compressor or anything I saw it happen on a car that came back from the body shop; they'd had to replace the condenser along with everything just behind the bumper, and must have done something wrong in refilling it. The machine makes it idiot-proof, designed for idiots really, but maybe using gauges you can get it wrong and get liquid into the compressor?

It looks like it might have original hardware, if so, then yes, some R12 and R134a DID get mixed.
    But if the question is whether mixing will destroy your a/c components,
    BUT to do it right you're supposed to replace most of those components anyway (evaporator, condensor, and... is it an accumulator or a receiver/drier that goes with fixed orifice tube),
    if they do corrode out eventually, then as I see it you merely bought time.

I post a lot...

hey-- never looked under it, but, is there a hole under the evaporator, and if so, can I fit a hose under it and direct the condensation AWAY from the frame?
    Any modern car does this.
    Well, any modern car has the evaporator in the cabin, and if they didn't direct the condensation away you get soaked carpeting!

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    No offense, but I think that much of the info on this blows the problem out of all proportion. I've seen many systems that were mixed and ran just fine... for YEARS. It is illegal, but it seems to work.
    well, that's what I was told when looking at a system that had rotted out from the inside. They had mixed oils in there (no flush, just swapped fittings and filled with 134a). within 2 years I was told is when the system sprung a leak from the inside of one of the hoses. Maybe it was just moisture rotting out the lines from the inside. But the whole system was scrapped because of it. Every part was well rotted. This was on an old F150 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
    hey-- never looked under it, but, is there a hole under the evaporator, and if so, can I fit a hose under it and direct the condensation AWAY from the frame?
    Any modern car does this.
    Well, any modern car has the evaporator in the cabin, and if they didn't direct the condensation away you get soaked carpeting!
    There should be a drip hole... and yes... many folks have done that over the years.

I post a lot...

damn, why didn't ford just add a $2 hose from the get-go!
    I'll do that TODAY!

Heck... why didn't they just put the 302 HO in them... mainly because they didn't want them to outpace the mustangs (panthers handle better with little to no upgrades compared to the fox bodies of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast