X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R134 fittings question

Hi!

Got a question for you guys.

I had my a/c converted to r134 a couple years ago, before I knew about cars.
    They replaced the required components (condenser, evaporator, and accumulator...?), so I'm told,
    but left the R12 fittings on it.
    I know there are adaptors, probably they used them.

It's time for a recharge-- cold but not icy cold.

I bought R134 fittings at the local parts store.
    Looks like they're threaded.

SO, if I unthread the R12 fittings, will my system just vent everything to atmosphere?
    Or are those fittings schrader valve protected, I can unscrew them, screw in the r134 fittings, and proceed with the recovery/charge machine as per normal?

Let me know before I break those fittings free! I won't know if there's a schrader valve underneath until it's too late!

Thanks,
    -Bernard

Shouldn't be an issue. The fittings are like tire valve caps. Remove and replace with the new fittings. Since the fittings are different sizes (by design) how did they put the R134a in and service the system with the old fittings? Something here isn't right!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Good R134a fittings require you remove the shraeder valve from the accumulator. The new fitting should have one in it. High side you just thread onto your existing fitting.

Also, I'm willing to bet they used Freeze 12 or some R12 replacement other than R134a.

Comment

Ah! Nevermind-- there is an R134 fitting on the low side. The high side is just threaded like a tire valve stem. My kit looks like it can thread on to that, however.
        Sounds like someone did do r134 then.

How many pounds r12 did these take?

If I put in r134a, how many pounds of that should i do? (that is to say, with r134a, do I put in more or fewer pounds than was originally called for with r12...)?

thanks!

Comment

Need to know EXACTLY what is currently in the system and what the system should take. R134a is usaully 80% volume of R12.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

DO NOT MIX.
            Period.
            They are NOT compatible with each other. If you mix, the system will pretty much dissolve due to the acid that is created.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I assumed the R12 was COMPLETELY removed and the right oil put in with the R134a.

Comment

Look on the fan shroud it should have a label for that. I looked up the capacity on Mitchell, and according to them our systems take 3.25 pounds of R12. So 80% of that will be what you fill your system to with R134a.

Comment

Last time i recharged mine 134a the machine said it was 2 lbs 13 oz with eaister oil

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

A retrofit is supposed to include a new label stuck under the hood somewhere with exactly how much of what was used.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And if you got the label, take a photo of it. My label has faded and gotten so stained from oil spraying that I can't read it anymore, other than "ester oil".

Comment

yeah they are usually just a paper label, filled out with ball point pen. 2-3 years later and you end up with a colored bit of paper that has no useful writing on it in a lot of cases.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

no papers on my vehicles... but they're all converted with proper fittings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            DO NOT MIX.
                            Period.
                            They are NOT compatible with each other. If you mix, the system will pretty much dissolve due to the acid that is created.
                            No offense, but I think that much of the info on this blows the problem out of all proportion. I've seen many systems that were mixed and ran just fine... for YEARS. It is illegal, but it seems to work.
                            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                            Open/Lock/Ratio #
                            -----------------------
                            G / H / 2.26
                            B / C / 2.47
                            8 / M / 2.73
                            7 / - / 3.07
                            Y / Z / 3.08
                            4 / D / 3.42
                            F / R / 3.45
                            5 / E / 3.27
                            6 / W / 3.73
                            2 / K / 3.55
                            A / - / 3.63
                            J / - / 3.85

Comment

I bought the fittings kit at the local parts store for $15, comes with a label-- I filled it out myself (but did not add my name/address, as that would make it a legal document claiming that *I* legally did the conversion and was licensed to do so, and I'm not).
                              Since it already had the low side R134a fitting, and I was told it was converted when I bought it, I figure it has been.

I recovered 1.5lbs, added back in 2.6lbs. Didn't actually see a huge difference, just a bit colder, but, it hasn't gotten truly hot here yet-- I may notice once we get 100deg weather in mid summer!
                              And am just glad I didn't lock the compressor or anything I saw it happen on a car that came back from the body shop; they'd had to replace the condenser along with everything just behind the bumper, and must have done something wrong in refilling it. The machine makes it idiot-proof, designed for idiots really, but maybe using gauges you can get it wrong and get liquid into the compressor?

It looks like it might have original hardware, if so, then yes, some R12 and R134a DID get mixed.
                              But if the question is whether mixing will destroy your a/c components,
                              BUT to do it right you're supposed to replace most of those components anyway (evaporator, condensor, and... is it an accumulator or a receiver/drier that goes with fixed orifice tube),
                              if they do corrode out eventually, then as I see it you merely bought time.

Comment

Working...
                              X