No announcement yet.

R134 fittings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey-- never looked under it, but, is there a hole under the evaporator, and if so, can I fit a hose under it and direct the condensation AWAY from the frame?
    Any modern car does this.
    Well, any modern car has the evaporator in the cabin, and if they didn't direct the condensation away you get soaked carpeting!

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
      No offense, but I think that much of the info on this blows the problem out of all proportion. I've seen many systems that were mixed and ran just fine... for YEARS. It is illegal, but it seems to work.
      well, that's what I was told when looking at a system that had rotted out from the inside. They had mixed oils in there (no flush, just swapped fittings and filled with 134a). within 2 years I was told is when the system sprung a leak from the inside of one of the hoses. Maybe it was just moisture rotting out the lines from the inside. But the whole system was scrapped because of it. Every part was well rotted. This was on an old F150 IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
        hey-- never looked under it, but, is there a hole under the evaporator, and if so, can I fit a hose under it and direct the condensation AWAY from the frame?
        Any modern car does this.
        Well, any modern car has the evaporator in the cabin, and if they didn't direct the condensation away you get soaked carpeting!
        There should be a drip hole... and yes... many folks have done that over the years.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

damn, why didn't ford just add a $2 hose from the get-go!
          I'll do that TODAY!

Comment

Heck... why didn't they just put the 302 HO in them... mainly because they didn't want them to outpace the mustangs (panthers handle better with little to no upgrades compared to the fox bodies of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              well, that's what I was told when looking at a system that had rotted out from the inside. They had mixed oils in there (no flush, just swapped fittings and filled with 134a). within 2 years I was told is when the system sprung a leak from the inside of one of the hoses. Maybe it was just moisture rotting out the lines from the inside. But the whole system was scrapped because of it. Every part was well rotted. This was on an old F150 IIRC.

EDIT, Slymer, after rereading this, I see it comes across a bit wrong. I'm not blasting you, or your opinion. I just tend to rant a bit on this subject. Please keep that in mind when you read it Sir.

I was referring to mixing refrigerants. If you open the system, even for a moment, it really ought to be vacumed to remove any gas that isn't a refrigerant, and to remove moisture. Aside from that, I've been fixing my own ac (and some friends) for over a decade, in ways that would make most trained techs weep openly. No troubles so far.

As for the oils mixing and making an acid... Here's an experiment for you, grab a bit of each kind of oil, and put them together in a mayonnaise jar, drop an old penny in it, and set it on a shelf for a while. In 6 months, the penny will still be there and won't be any brighter than the day you put it in there. The oils might separate, but they won't interact with each other, or any r12-r134-hc-12, etc to create a corrosive.

I'd bet money that the old f150 you describe, had a lot of moisture, and outside air in the system that was never removed. Somebody opened it up, left it for a while, then buttoned it back up, and refilled it without replacing the dryer, or vacuuming it.

An interesting aside. Most of us have heard putting sugar in the gas tank will wreck a car's engine. Here's an experiment for yall. Drop a pinch or two of sugar into a cup of gas in a jar. Put it on a shelf and check it every once in a while. It won't dissolve. I know it used to work because my Dad described an engine he tore down once that had been sugared. (had to drive the pistons out of the bores with a block of wood and a mini sledge) So either the older gas could dissolve sugar or else the sugar could penetrate all the way to the cylinders in granular form. In a modern car, about all it does is stop up the fuel tank strainer.
              I include this as a common example of things that most people have been told, but doesn't really work these days. I think a lot of the warnings etc we get about AC systems is like that.

I'll go one further, did you realize that most of the r12 replacement stuff contains 79% Propane, and 21% isobutane in a mix. Most people would freak out over a flammable gas in their air conditioner, but it was approved by the department of transportation in 1990. The epa made rules against it when they banned r12. Ever since then, they've had a bee in their bonnet about hc-12a and hc-12b (propane and isobutane).

Now I'm not one of the conspiracy folks that claim that the R-12 ban was all about Dupont's patent running out. (technically it should have run out in the 1950's) I do however think that the EPA was and is a bloated overly powerful government entity that likes to throw it's weight around, and isn't above a bit of corruption. I've seen that locally.

If you google hyrdrocarbon refrigerants, you will find any number of places where the "dangers" of the stuff are discussed, but I have yet to find a single instance of any incident involving the stuff.
              [/end rant]
              Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 05-28-2012, 09:32 AM.
              Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
              AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
              Open/Lock/Ratio #
              -----------------------
              G / H / 2.26
              B / C / 2.47
              8 / M / 2.73
              7 / - / 3.07
              Y / Z / 3.08
              4 / D / 3.42
              F / R / 3.45
              5 / E / 3.27
              6 / W / 3.73
              2 / K / 3.55
              A / - / 3.63
              J / - / 3.85

Comment

yeah... You're probably right about the moisture in the system.

Saw the sugar in the tank myth done on Mythbusters. Busted.

The only "incident" I know of involving R-anything is R-11. That tank that was ruptured from skylab that pretty much gave the ozone layer a major boo-boo.

Comment

Working...
                X