Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever ran a cobra cam in box panther before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we ran/run the 1.7 cobra rockers with stock push rods on both my merc and our mark vii and neither one makes any noise.
    ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
    ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      6.3" pushrods? Why? Didn't the cobra run the same length pushrods?
      Yeah, but I lost about .025" worth of preload by simply bolting in the rockers, so I had to go with longer pushrods. Not everybody does, so the moral of the story is be ready for anything.
      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
        Yeah, but I lost about .025" worth of preload by simply bolting in the rockers, so I had to go with longer pushrods. Not everybody does, so the moral of the story is be ready for anything.
        Alright. I'll expect the worst and hope for the best. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Cobra motors ran shaved GT40 heads, so the stock pushrods gave suitable preload. I've never measured mine with stock rods and E7 heads but it seems to be more or less OK. Its on my list of things to check, but I dare not touch it until I get off my lazy ass to replace that intake manifold.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Cobra motors ran shaved GT40 heads, so the stock pushrods gave suitable preload. I've never measured mine with stock rods and E7 heads but it seems to be more or less OK. Its on my list of things to check, but I dare not touch it until I get off my lazy ass to replace that intake manifold.
            Good point. My heads were milled a bit from stock when was resurfaced. As was the block. And I had no issues with the Scorpion roller rockers that I had on the engine. Besides them not clearing the stock valve covers...

Comment

haha been away from here for a while... yeh i ran the cobra cam with the matching 1.7 roller rockers in my GT40P headed and ported intakes and 65mm tb with mass air and the works... not that special of a cam, you dont notice any difference between that and the HO cam and the explorer cam other than the HO cam has a pretty good extra push you into your seat right up int0 the 5500-6000rpm range when the other 2 give up the ghost. I have a comp xe258 cam now and with 200lbs of sound system, dynamat, and closed nitrous bottles in the trunk it will be pushing rubber on the pavement turning the 315/60/15 MT sportsman tires for 20ft. lots of torque and dyno said over 300ft/lbs from 1800-5700RPM and fairly flat hp curve topping out around 4000 and dropping off at 5500rpm. great torque cam and the next RPM power band up xe257? would be a nice cam i think with that little extra pull up in the revs if your doing a little racing.
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

^its aboot time you show your signature around here again^ lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

been working like mad on the car the last 6 months just updating my readers ride at the moment haha.

but on the topic of cams, go with HO and 1.7 roller rockers if you want to go the ford oem cam... quite a nice pull at the high rpms is a plesent suprise compared to gasping for air at 4000 haha good times. Compression numbers on a fresh bottom end and un milled heads with HO forged pistons by the way are 130psi or so with the cobra, HO and explorer cams with 1.7 roller rockers. Comp XE258 with 1.6 roller rockers is 160psi... it is a great cam for building torque and getting that air and fuel in there at driving RPMs... a measurable comparrison, and with stock pistons there is just barely clearence but i ran it for 6 months on stock lopo pistons.
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                    quite a nice pull at the high rpms is a plesent suprise compared to gasping for air at 4000 haha good times.
                    Was that a reference to the Explorer Cam?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Was that a reference to the Explorer Cam?
                      haha no thats a reference to the stock lopo motor. exploder cam seemed to pull steady to 5000 rpm or so

Comment

Is there any noticeable differences running the cobra cam over a stock ho cam? I'm thinking about using it when I start my mark7 build.

Comment

another cam that can be used is the crane 2020....
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

yea i think the 92 cougar motor in the 92 has a cobra cam.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                              another cam that can be used is the crane 2020....
                              Yes, it can be used in a dumpster.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                                yea i think the 92 cougar motor in the 92 has a cobra cam.
                                The 92 Grand Marquis hauls with that engine. I know the 93 cougars/thunderbirds have the Cobra (GT stamp) cam.
                                hotrodtc, I haven't had a chance to run the car at the track or the dyno. But just driving it on the road I noticed a huge improvement. We'll see how it does at Scottfest.

Comment

Working...
                                X