Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever ran a cobra cam in box panther before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever ran a cobra cam in box panther before?

Got a Cobra cam today out of a 93 Thunderbird. I've heard mixed comments about it. A lot of Mustang people complained about less HP than the stock HO cam, and that the extra torque that it produced was not worth it due to added wheel spin. I was wondering, since the Vic is about 1000 lbs heavier than a Mustang, would it be a better cam choice than an explorer cam? I do plan on adding better valve springs and 1.7 roller rockers.

Brandon possibly has one installed in his lincoln.

I think Josh is in possession of one.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't have it anymore, I fed it to my 302. We shall soon find out how it runs!

Once I get those lifters and a good injector, I will make haste in assembling it.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
        I don't have it anymore, I fed it to my 302. We shall soon find out how it runs!

Once I get those lifters and a good injector, I will make haste in assembling it.
        You have a cobra cam? Interesting! Does yours say GT right after the cam gear as well?

Comment

yep
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Alright. When I pulled it I saw GT and almost threw it across the yard. I didn't find out until after I brought it home, that that's how you tell the Cobra cam apart from the regular HO. Why they used GT to indicate the cobra cam I'll never understand. Will you be running 1.7 roller rockers as well?

Comment

Prolly because in the cobra it was with the GT 40 heads and intake.
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I've only got 1.6s at the moment. If I find a set of 1.7s cheap enough I'll get 'em but my goal is to just put the parts I have back together and drive the damn thing
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  Prolly because in the cobra it was with the GT 40 heads and intake.
                  You have a point there.

Comment

I look forward to results I would like to see which is better the cobra cam or explorer cam

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      I've only got 1.6s at the moment. If I find a set of 1.7s cheap enough I'll get 'em but my goal is to just put the parts I have back together and drive the damn thing

also, am getting my stock valve covers glass beaded and i'm going to paint em ferd blue. not gonna fuck around with the 1" intake space and cutting it or my hood in order to run the finned valve covers i have. when i build a carbureted windsor that's what i will use
                      sigpic

Comment

Curiously, the 93 Cobra cam is the 1992 Thunderbird / Couger cam. It was essentially built for more torque to haul around the tubby Tbirds. I suspect thats half of why Scott's GMQ runs the way it does. If I'm not too far off, thats what cam ought to be in that motor.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah scott said it has a HO cougar motor so it must be

runs well?
                          sigpic

Comment

that 92 runs like a cheetah. very fun to drive.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, Cobra cam installed in the '91 T-Bird 5.0 HO in my Lincoln. Either the previous owner of the motor installed it, or it was a late '91 Build and got the cam from the factory.

Loads of wheel spin to be had there with that cam, but the car is much more fun to drive then any stock HO mustang that I've ever driven. That cam is the reason why.

Comment

Working...
                              X