water pump puked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water pump puked

Lincoln is sitting at work with a blown water pump, I need to limp it back home to fix it. I'm just wondering if swapping it out is a simple job. It looks easy enough, being right on top and easy to get to, certainly a lot easier than changing one on an 02 Taurus which involves removing every other accesory and the wheel well.

Also what else whould I replace while i've got it off? It'll get new belts (might try deleting the smog pump while i'm at it), probably a 190 degree t-stat to run a bit cooler for summer but what else?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Chain and gear while you are that far in???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Fan clutch if its not known to be in good shape. You also want the two short hoses, one is the thermostat bypass hose, the other I think is called the pump to pipe hose. Lower rad hose if its questionable, ditto the upper rad hose.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

expect to buy new water pump studs also.....dorman/help part# 23744
        Last edited by ; 05-19-2012, 05:11 PM.

Comment

A nice gasket scraper if you don't have one!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

LEAVE THE OLD BOLTS IN THE WATER PUMP WHEN YOU REMOVE IT. don't set them aside, they are mostly different lengths.

you'll thank me when you don't poke holes in the block reinstalling it.

replace the timing set and all gaskets while you're in there. thermostat. upper/lower rad hoses and bypass hose
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I usually draw an outline of the pump on a upside-down cardboard box and stick the bolts where they go, lol
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                I usually draw an outline of the pump on a upside-down cardboard box and stick the bolts where they go, lol

This method works great. I do it for most things that I disassemble that have numerous fasteners involved.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

X1000 on the water pump bolts! Please replace your pump with a NEW heavy duty IRON water pump.

Comment

Is there a part number for an iron water pump, as opposed to i'm guessing aluminum?

Comment

I think if you look up an older engine, you find it.
                      I have a panther body, so maybe your accessories aren't the same... but I looked up a 1986 instead of a 1990, and the parts guys found the iron pump.
                      Be sure to paint it. It rusts.

And I had to grind a bit off the edge of my alternator bracket to make it fit.

Comment

I drove it from work to my parents house on tuesday, today got around to looking at it. I found out the water pump itself isn't leaking, it's just a hose, looks like the one that is in two parts that goes to the firewall, which I guess is the heater hose.

So for now i'm gonna replace all the hoses and the t-stat and be done with it for now, gonna leave the water pump alone until I know for sure it's bad. I need to get this thing running asap so I can work on my Sierra, I think the O2 sensor is bad because it seems to be getting a lot worse mileage than I remember.

Comment

I ended up just replacing the two heater hoses, the others can wait. Also replaced a couple of the factory clamps in favor of standard hose clamps because the factory ones weren't going to cooperate. I'm just glad it runs.

Comment

its nice to always find that, things are not as bad as they first seemed. i did the water pump on my brothers 88 TC a month back. it helps when your the first one to replace it, that way you can coat the shit outta the bolts with anti-seize.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Well it may be worse, I just started it yesterday to check for leaks. Today I ran it up to operating temp and it got hotter than normal, not all the way hot like it did before but much hotter than before, the needle on the gauge used to sit about 1/4 of the way up, now it sits around half and comes up to 3/4 which according to the gauge is still in the normal range but hotter than before indicating it's not good. I'm letting it cool down and checking the coolant level again, hoping I just don't have enough in there. And also I turned on the heater to get fluid moving through there and the heater doesn't blow out hot air anymore, i'm hoping is a switch issue and not a mechanical issue like the heater core went bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X