PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1992 Premium Sound aftermarket receiver replacement wiring question

Default 1992 Premium Sound aftermarket receiver replacement wiring question

So my 92 has a non-JBL premium sound car with its super gay tape player has got to go. The radio isn't bad, but the receiver I picked up has a USB input and headphone input which will help when I drive through Nebraska and Eastern Colorado. The problem I'm having is that the radio has all 3 plugs at the back: it has the regular grey and black non-premium sound connectors as well as the small, square black premium sound plug. I'd prefer not to buy the high-low converter to run the aftermarket deck through the factory amp, but I'm not sure if the unused non-premium sound black rectangular plug (bolted to a blank in the back of the factory radio) is wired all the way to the speakers or not. None of the stereo shops around here can answer this question and apparently, neither can CVN with its larger amount of users which shocks the shit out of me. Any of you guys screwed with this before?
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289.

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

I had the crap tape deck in my 93 and I installed the sweet USB/1/4" aux deck in that and it's been a fantastic 5 years.

-ryan s.

03 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 118k <-- Family Whip
    03 Mercury Marauder- 57,928 miles: And so it begins... <-- Summer Toy
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2) - 221k - 24/28 mpg 518 mi on one tank <-- Winter Slayer (ecoMod project)
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING) <----- Wifey's

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Wow. I didn't answer the question.
    I think you'd be fine just using the standard plugs. I'll check my tape deck when I get home to see first ,I had/have that third connection and second, that I probably tuckef it up in the dash somewhere.

-ryan s.

03 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 118k <-- Family Whip
    03 Mercury Marauder- 57,928 miles: And so it begins... <-- Summer Toy
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2) - 221k - 24/28 mpg 518 mi on one tank <-- Winter Slayer (ecoMod project)
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING) <----- Wifey's

I post a lot...

If its premium sound with the amp you should need the grey plug and the square plug. This harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207055...s.html?tp=2977 makes use of the radio's preamp outs and lets you safely use the factory amps.
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)
    2012 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 (Black/Grey)
    1999 S10 Ext Cab V6 (Pewter/Black)
    Long Gone:
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

That harness is pretty cool, and I'd much prefer that over a converter. Though if Ryan can verify which plugs he used that might also shed some light or re-enforce the fact that I'll have to go through the factory amp. I've got nothing against the factory amp, just would like to eliminate it as a possible point of failure.
    1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289.

I post a lot...

There is also this harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977. This is for using the square plug and bypassing the amp. I can't imagine the black rectangle plug being able to be used. The speakers are fed from the output side of the amp in the PS setup (in other words the square plug harness goes back to the amp, and then the speaker wiring branches out from there)
    Long Gone:

Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    There is also this harness http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977. This is for using the square plug and bypassing the amp. I can't imagine the black rectangle plug being able to be used. The speakers are fed from the output side of the amp in the PS setup (in other words the square plug harness goes back to the amp, and then the speaker wiring branches out from there)
    +1 this harness to bupass the POS and then wire into the connectors in the dash.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I thought I remembered the wiring to the amp being super tiny, which would rule out the amp bypass as a viable option.

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
    I thought I remembered the wiring to the amp being super tiny, which would rule out the amp bypass as a viable option.
    I used the bypass in my 89 MGM and everything was fine.
    Long Gone:

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

i would retain use of the factory amp. the sound is that much better. some of us guys are running the metra ford premium sound amp intergration harness. it plugs into the shielded grey cable and into your deck RCA pre-outs.

1980 Lincoln Mark VI givenchy 2-Door 351W- SOLD
    1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302 special blend (GMGT)- Summer toy
    1985 Mercury Grandmarquis LS Colony Park 351W (juice box)- Winter DD/back up
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier 4.6L (Hustler)- Current summer DD
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/marquisman

for some reason, i cant link a pic. but, you can search metra part number 70-5510.

Quote Originally Posted by marquisman View Post
    i would retain use of the factory amp. the sound is that much better. some of us guys are running the metra ford premium sound amp intergration harness. it plugs into the shielded grey cable and into your deck RCA pre-outs.
    You're talking about this, right?

Or something even more awesome? I never had any qualms with the factory amp, just contemplated yanking it to eliminate it as a potential point of failure. Honestly the sound from the factory deck isn't bad, it just lacks the ability to play CDs, USB sticks, and a headphone jack. I'd actually thought about making one of these myself from the kit they have at Walmart, but since I'm not at home right now I lack access to my soldering iron. I didn't know they sold them premade with the RCA jacks.

thats the one. one reason i dont like using the bypass harness, is that your putting high level outputs, through that very tiny wire running from the dash, to the amp. i installed premium sound in my lincoln and merc and think it was well worth it. it works pretty well with aftermarket decks imo.

I post a lot...

That is same one I linked in post #4. I don't know if there is a better price anywhere, but Crutchfield was the easiest place to look it up.
    Long Gone:

Yeah, I kinda took credit for your find.

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
    Yeah, I kinda took credit for your find.
    Not about that, man. I just wanted to make sure you saw where to buy it. Let us know how you make out.
    Long Gone:

you could always run your own wires and be done with it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

If I was at home, that option would be 10X more on the table. Due to my present displacement, I am highly inclined toward plug and play goodness.

in that case... the RCA pre-out harness FTW.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

And then get your hands on a JBL amp out of a Mark VII or box Towncar and get some more wattage. Plug and play with the stock premium sound square silver amp. Later Towncars with the sub might work if you can figure out suitable mounting for it and feeds for sub amp power.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast