a/c service ports - repair adapter/extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a/c service ports - repair adapter/extension

I've got a finicky low side port valve. It seals, but not necessarily each time necessitating some flicking at it. Since I'm limited to doing this in the driveway and not willing to pay somebody else, is there what amounts to a port extension/repair adaptor that contains a new valve and will keep the original valve open? If so, whats it called so I can find it?

Google just want to give me results for conversion adapters and forum posts about finding low side ports. Poking around a couple a/c sites I'm not finding what I think I am looking for. (It has a proper r134a conversion if it matters).

Alex.

you'll probably just have to resort to replacing the valve

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The better R134 conversion fittings require you remove the old R12 valve stem, and the new seal is inside the conversion fittings. Cheaper ones just have a push rod that works the original stem. Unfortunately you have to empty the system to install one of those.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you can just open it... a strictly illegal no-no.
        Or go to a place to do an evac/recharge. Evacuate, install the fitting, recharge. Maybe you know someone who will do it on the side for cheap?
        It really is better that way; the little canisters from autozone et al will not pull a vacuum to remove water, and will not recharge the correct amount, and done wrong can lock the compressor (although I suspect you know better than to do that).

Comment

you'll probably just have to resort to replacing the valve
          I was afraid of that.

gadget, its a proper 134a conversion, with a correct 134a fitting, just a finiky seal in the valve.

bernini, the system works, opening it is exactly what I want to avoid. I also want to avoid an evacuate/recharge because I'm a frugal bastid. =-) Which is why I was hoping there was a poor mans alternative/redneck repair available that would essential just be an extension with a new valve so you wouldn't have to discharge anything.

Alex.

Comment

Can we assume the conversion valve does not simply screw on? I only ask because mine did.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

they all screw on, but some of them have a valve inside the screw-on fitting, and some do not.

I had one blow up on me once. I checked the pressure on the Mark VII, and when I went to disconnect the high side fitting, it did not seal again. Couldn't make it hold, so I replaced it. That rather sucked. Made a hell of a mess too since it vomited oil all over.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X