How to turn off fuel pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to turn off fuel pump.

Hey guys I've been looking at a program at school that have procedures on how to service cars. I was looking at where the fuel pump fuse is on my 89' MGM but found nothing. Does any one have any idea how I can turn off the fuel pump to repair the line. Thanks.

smack the inertia cutout in the trunk so it pops. Alternatively, unplug the inertia switch or remove the fuel pump relay. Or just don't turn the key on. The pump won't run if the key is off and the engine isn't running.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Where could I find the fuel pump relay? I want to be able to start the car with the pump off and drain what ever is in the lines before I begin to service it. Or the switch in the truck? What is that I never herd that.

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
        Where could I find the fuel pump relay? I want to be able to start the car with the pump off and drain what ever is in the lines before I begin to service it. Or the switch in the truck? What is that I never herd that.
        The switch in the trunk will accomplish just that. Just give it a solid whack. If you want, have the car running when you whack it and it will die. It's on the left of the trunk, can't miss it. It shuts off the fuel pump in the event your car gets hit hard enough.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Can you specify a little more info on where its located and if I do hit it will I be able to get it back on with the next key on key off?

Comment

its mounted to the driver's side hinge. To reset it, push the button on the top.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
              Can you specify a little more info on where its located and if I do hit it will I be able to get it back on with the next key on key off?

Open your trunk, and look to the left, you can't miss it. Just press the button on top to reset it.
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Great, also "IF" this doesn't work knowing my luck where is the relay?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  its mounted to the driver's side hinge. To reset it, push the button on the top.
                  Since you beat me, was it 90 when they changed the style?

Comment

Hmm I dont remember if I have that i'll check it first thing tomorrow and ill get back to you. I have just terrible luck it's always nice to have a back up incase that one doesn't work. Thanks and good night I'm off to bed.

Comment

if your repairing the line, just wrap a rag around the schrader valve and use a screwdriver to push the valve core to release the pressure. then disconnect the fuel line at the lowest point to drain the fuel.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well I though I knew my car but I have never seen that black box in my trunk. Well I taped on it and it and I saw the button go up and it stopped the pump. Line is now repaired and I am truly great-full for all your advice.

Comment

w00t!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That inertia switch had me seriously puzzled back in the day. I was installing an amp and sub and I must have hit the switch and tripped it. I then went to start the car and nothing. I was ready to have the car towed, but luckily was poking around in the trunk and decided to push the button. Success!
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Since you beat me, was it 90 when they changed the style?
                              never knew it changed TBH.

Comment

Working...
                              X