1990 grand marquis dual exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 grand marquis dual exhaust

Right now on my 1990 grand marquis I have a single exhaust going out the back. How would I go about putting a Dual Exhaust in? What would I need to do?

ok... there should be a stickied thread about this... but there isn't. There's a crap ton of threads about it though. basically, the answer is to find a dual exhaust car to get it off of from a junk yard, or do a full 2.5" mustang/impalla ss dual bolt on or have a shop put an H pipe and driver side stuff on to match.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What SLYMER said. Get Mustang shorty headers ('86-'93) and Impala ('94-'96) tailpipes. Then have an exhaust shop bend everything between the headers and tailpipes. I think that would be the best method (or at least produce the best results). I got Mustang headers and cat'd H-pipe and an Impala catback exhaust. The headers and catback are fine, but the H-pipe hangs too low and scrapes the ground consistently over moderate bumps/dips. If I had it to do over again, I would attempt to make an H-pipe myself; or have a shop build one for me.

Packman

Comment

I had a shop build my hpipe, got thrush stainless glasspacks, and stock tailpipes 2.5" all the way. Cost me $350 out the door, and they did an excellant job.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Or, you can get bolt-on OE replacement cats-back pipes from your local store for a stock dual exhaust system and fancy mufflers of your choice.
          If you plan on doing more than minor engine modifications though, go ahead and start working on a mustang hybrid setup like mentioned above
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

This. Just buy the OE parts and bolt it in, no fuss no mess. The stock system is plenty fine for a stock or near-stock engine.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you are a long term car owner and you have over $1k, get headers and have a custom 2.25" stainless system made. Pick the mufflers depending on how quiet, or not you want it.

Otherwise stock pipes would probably be the most economical.

I am not sure what is available nowadays but my prior dual system was mustang/lincoln Mark VII headers & H pipe, mark VII extensions into stock vic mufflers and tails. The stock duals are 2"

Jay
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I bought the Walker stock replacement duals, fron the H-pipe all the way back (probably best to get two new tails so one isn't rusty and the other not) and had the shop weld pipe in place of the mufflers, runs great with just cats, not loud or annoying at all.

Now i'm looking for Mustang shorties and having a shop make new catless downpipes so I can keep the stock Walker stuff, since it's new and i'm keeping it lopo I want to reuse it. Then i'l have 2.25" Thrush Welded mufflers welded in place and be done with it. For now the current muffler-less stock duals are fine but I want to squeeze more power and sound out of it, and add a couple mpg.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Phayzer5 had semi-custom exhaust on his car. It replicated the shape and routing of the stock cat pipe plus H pipe, but was larger sized and bolted up to the header flanges. It ended right at the mufflers, and I think he was using Impala pipes over the axle. The front pipe was big and heavy but it sat really nicely in there. Next exhaust I do on my car (hopefully not for years to come) is probably going to be something like that, assuming I can find an exhaust shop that can do that for me.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Aren't stock and Mustang manifolds ball and socket flanges? I'm gonna have a shop make downpipes so I figure they'd weld some onto the pipe and bend it. Also I remember reading the stock exhaust is 2.25" andf at some point necks down to 2", is that just after the cats or what? Would a shop have to make downpipes going 2.25" to 2" for the flanges to bolt to the stock H-pipe?
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                    X