PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Smog Pump Delete

Default 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Smog Pump Delete

Ok so I've taken my smog pump off along with all the vacuum solenoids and the rubber hosing out of my 88 grand marquis I left the two check valves on and I was needing you all advise on what to do from here I have an exhaust leak where the crossover pipe is connected to the exhaust pipe so I can't just leave it like that. Any help would be appreciated

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

down at the converters? cut the rotted pipe off and jam a plug in. I've used pipe plugs and sealed them in with some generic equivalent to that Mighty Putty stuff that whathisface used to sell on tv.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

I was also needing to know how to plug the Holes in the back of the heads. Basically I want to do away with the check valves, the crossover pipe on the back of the heads, the converter pipes, and any other stuff the smog pump was connected to.

I used bolts that were the size of the pipes (still leaves an ever so slight leak unless you use some goop)... just screwed them into the pipe (ones that just barely fit with a little effort). Bolts with some JB weld steel would work too. Just clean the surfaces first (will need to allow cure time).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I found this pic over on Corral.net

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engineout.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	33096

This shows the pipe ends cut off the pipe and flipped over with some goop on them to close off the ports on the back of the heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

another good thread worth of pictures and answers over there: Corral.net

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by slymer View Post
    This shows the pipe ends cut off the pipe and flipped over with some goop on them to close off the ports on the back of the heads.
    It looks like the pipe was pinched together and welded shut in that pic. That's how the ones om my 91 are and they've been fine forever.

when i put the 85 truck h.o. 351 in my 91 i used small freezeplgs that fit the holes and J.B. weld to seal them.....waited for it to dry completely...then filed them smooth prior to painting the heads
    1985 ltd crown victoria 2dr....1988 lincoln town car signature...previous owner of a 1991ltd crown victoria s p72(guensey county ohio sheriffs car)...1990 ltd crown victoria s.....1989 mercury grand marquis ls

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Chop the pipe apart and flip the ends over, then bolt it back up. It should seal fine with the regular gasket thats back there as long as the back surface of the pipe is cleaned up some to make a suitable gasket sealing surface. Basically clean, flat, no big gouges or burrs.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

should be able to use short as possible 5/8 coarse bolts in the back of the heads.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Thanks! I haven't got started and probably won't be able to park the car for a while to get it done so just getting suggestions for now. Thanks for the many replies.

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

We should put together a sticky thread about the smog and AC removal...
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 16" HPP wheels - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 1996 Ford Crown Victoria - the green bastard - 4.6 SOHC, 4r70w, 2.73s - Beater

i DEF AGREE.

Is the smog pump removal, really worth doing?

The only reason I was even considering doing it is to do away with that pump that is making these crazy squeeky sounds

It would be awesome to have a step by step to do it.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback