1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Smog Pump Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis Smog Pump Delete

Ok so I've taken my smog pump off along with all the vacuum solenoids and the rubber hosing out of my 88 grand marquis I left the two check valves on and I was needing you all advise on what to do from here I have an exhaust leak where the crossover pipe is connected to the exhaust pipe so I can't just leave it like that. Any help would be appreciated

down at the converters? cut the rotted pipe off and jam a plug in. I've used pipe plugs and sealed them in with some generic equivalent to that Mighty Putty stuff that whathisface used to sell on tv.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was also needing to know how to plug the Holes in the back of the heads. Basically I want to do away with the check valves, the crossover pipe on the back of the heads, the converter pipes, and any other stuff the smog pump was connected to.

Comment

I used bolts that were the size of the pipes (still leaves an ever so slight leak unless you use some goop)... just screwed them into the pipe (ones that just barely fit with a little effort). Bolts with some JB weld steel would work too. Just clean the surfaces first (will need to allow cure time).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I found this pic over on Corral.net

Click image for larger version

Name:	engineout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1269463

This shows the pipe ends cut off the pipe and flipped over with some goop on them to close off the ports on the back of the heads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

another good thread worth of pictures and answers over there: Corral.net

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              This shows the pipe ends cut off the pipe and flipped over with some goop on them to close off the ports on the back of the heads.
              It looks like the pipe was pinched together and welded shut in that pic. That's how the ones om my 91 are and they've been fine forever.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

when i put the 85 truck h.o. 351 in my 91 i used small freezeplgs that fit the holes and J.B. weld to seal them.....waited for it to dry completely...then filed them smooth prior to painting the heads

Comment

Chop the pipe apart and flip the ends over, then bolt it back up. It should seal fine with the regular gasket thats back there as long as the back surface of the pipe is cleaned up some to make a suitable gasket sealing surface. Basically clean, flat, no big gouges or burrs.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

should be able to use short as possible 5/8 coarse bolts in the back of the heads.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Thanks! I haven't got started and probably won't be able to park the car for a while to get it done so just getting suggestions for now. Thanks for the many replies.

Comment

We should put together a sticky thread about the smog and AC removal...
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i DEF AGREE.

Is the smog pump removal, really worth doing?

The only reason I was even considering doing it is to do away with that pump that is making these crazy squeeky sounds

It would be awesome to have a step by step to do it.
                          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X