Air Shocks vs Air Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
    Anyone recall if the upper spring mount on an '89 box has a hole in the center?

Marquisman, how tall is the bag for panthers? Full spring length? Or confined to either end of the spring?

Alex.

I don't think my 90 did but I could be wrong.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the bag goes in the center of the coil spring. on my cars, i dont have a hole in the top of the spring pocket but, i removed the spring and drilled one big enough for the air line. i cant recall the dimentions of the bag. i will see if i can dig up the part number but, i do know they are called "firestone load rite or coil rite" or somethin.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Here are both at e-trailer:
        http://www.etrailer.com/susp-1989_Me...nd+Marquis.htm

I'm trying to figure out my plan of attack with the bags. If the bag fits the entire spring top to bottom, no problem. Becuase I have variable rate coils, one side is wound tighter vs the other end. The soft side is the "top" of the spring. If the bag does not fill the coil top to bottom I'd need to posistion the bag appropriately (soft end of the springs). If the instructions are to be taken as 100%, I might need to reinstall my coils upside down due to how the bag has to be positioned on the car: 1990+ air inlet at the top. 1989- air inlet on the bottom (axle side). I'm assuming that is due to an existing hole for the air line to be routed through. If theres a hole in the perch at the top of the 89 mount, no problem I can just install the bag at the top.
        Yeah, I'm overthinking it, but I like to be prepared.

For those wondering WTF I'm talking about putting the springs in upside down, the variable rate coils have a TOP and BOTTOM, which they make a point about installing "correctly". Probably changes the ride just enough to take some harnessness out of bumps. If it makes an actual difference, who knows, but if I have to install the airbag as per the instructions, then I'd need to flip the springs so the air inlet is resting against the correct perch.

Al

Comment

i think my bags were very close to the spring height, with the spacers provided. i would drill holes up in the frame spring perch, that ways you can run the air lines properly/cleanly. firestone shows you to mount the spacer at the axle perch, then run the line through the spring perch gap. when i was looking at the routing, it looked clumbsy and had potential for a line blow out. so like said, drill a hole in the frames spring perch, so you can run the lines on top of the frame to either the bumper or through the trunk. oh and to let you know, firestone does not include a "T" fitting for the air lines. i had to buy that at the parts store.

Comment

I planned on independant fills. Something I read years ago with airbags, if you tee them, you have the potential during hard cornering to squeeze air from the loaded corner to the unloaded inside corner and really tilt the car in the wrong direction.

Alex.

Comment

this is true lol.

Comment

I am moving to Iowa in exactly one week!
                I'm taking everything, in the wagon.
                I weighed it up... something on the order of 1000# is going into my wagon. It sags heavily, and it's going 900 miles like this.
                Time for air bags!

Now, this is a daily commuter, with maybe thrice a month cargo trips and usually not that heavy. So this was not a concern before.
                And the convenience of automatic, self-leveling shocks, is not demanded.

I just want air bags that go inside the coil springs, easy to install, with an accessible nozzle that I can just air them up with my tire chuck those few times, like in a week, when I've got serious junk in the trunk.

I need to order/purchase these ASAP!
                What's the consensus on a product that is made well, works right, and an exact model number that I can just type in and order off of amazon later tonight/tomorrow?

Comment

pretty much those ones that marquisman put in his car I think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Those actually look really easy!
                    Do they accept standard schrader valve/ normal tire valve stem sizes, so my tire gauge can fill them up?

Comment

can't find the firestone brand... but found the airlift one on amazon...
                      http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60769-Ser...=airlift+60769

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                        Those actually look really easy!
                        Do they accept standard schrader valve/ normal tire valve stem sizes, so my tire gauge can fill them up?
                        looks like you would have to use an adapter to set that up. From the parts shown, it looks like it's just hose fittings. So if you can find an adapter at a hardware store to go to an air fitting with a schrader valve, then you would be good to go. You can also run the lines where you want to so that it's easier to fill them as well.

Comment

You'll have normal tire vales to work with.
                          Same price at Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AIR-60769/
                          And they have the firestone bags as well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-4108/

Alex.

Comment

looks like the same product/ same price.
                            would you pick one (airlift or firestone) over another?

Comment

I'd choose the color I'd want. They're probably only different in that regard.

Comment

If you had both in hand, you'd probably find the bags where made by the same company. The only difference I am aware of is that they use a different way to secure the air line to the fittings. Airlift uses barbed fittings and crimp rings, Firestone uses the push to connect air lines. I'm partial to the push to connect, but my car is red... It would probably come down to which one I can source locally for the best price.

Warranty may come into play, airlift is limited lifetime. Firestone is two years. Both bags are in use by people, both are happy with them.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                                X