need engine ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need engine ideas

I finally got around to putting new belts on my car (a/c feels like sex ) and I was doing some inspecting and my suspicions are unfortunitely correct. Turns out the top end pretty much needs a rebuild, I noticed the rocker cover gaskets are seeping oil, both intake gaskets leak and my manifolds leak from both gaskets. Not sure if my head gaskets are bad but I wouldn't doubt it at all.

So, I know I can get HO stuff for cheap, but i've got a few options and would appreciate input. I'm wondering how bad it is to change the cam with the engine still in the car, because if I do a top end rebuild I want a 351 f.o. cam since I read it's easier on the crank. If I have to I could rent or borrow a crane and pull the engine out to do it. I figure if i'm going to the trouble of taking the whole engine out, it might be wise to just buy a new crate long block and drop it in. I mean the engine has 85,000 some-odd miles so theroetically it shouldn't need a rebuild for a while since as far as I know only the top end gaskets and seals go bad from sitting, but the bottom end could be bad too, I don't know. I just know if the bottom end is good it'd be a lot cheaper to swap in say E7 heads, HO upper, Mustang manifolds and an Explorer/Cobra/whatnot 351 f.o. cam into it and put it back in.

So simply put I can replace the stock top end or get a new engine, which makes more sense? Does the bottom end go bad from sitting like the top does? I mean is it worth it to partly rebuild the stock engine? I could probably do a lot of it myself, but I don't think I have the room to actually take the engine out and store it somewhere while i'm putting it together, basically my only option is leaving it in the car I think.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

How fast do you wanna spend?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Not much at all, basically the best bang for the buck, which I figure is leftover HO parts if the bottom end is reusable and it's not the biggest pain in the worold to do with the engine in the car, or get a crate or rebuilt engine to swap in, such as a GT40 Explorer motor. I want the cheapest, most reliable setup I can but I figure if i'm replacing why not upgrade to something not underpowered? Figure at least a HO will last longer since it won't work as hard as the lopo does.
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Sometimes I search Craigslist for 302 and 351, it's surprising what comes up. Just a thought.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Explorer top end, BBK1515 headers, 1.7 roller rockers, Mark VII computer, Explorer injectors. Wouldn't be that expensive. Check oil pressure and compression and leakage on all cylinders before you decide to redo engine. Also, save yourself a headache and pull the engine from the car, and replace the oil pan gasket and what not as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Explorer top end, BBK1515 headers, 1.7 roller rockers, Mark VII computer, Explorer injectors. Wouldn't be that expensive. Check oil pressure and compression and leakage on all cylinders before you decide to redo engine. Also, save yourself a headache and pull the engine from the car, and replace the oil pan gasket and what not as well.
            Were you able to install the cobra cam? That sounds promising.

Packman

Comment

Working...
            X