No announcement yet.

My 351W slow progress build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least somebody is entertained...lol. All I have left is to buy some vac hoses, heater hoses, p/s pump(or just replace the shaft seal) and new p/s hoses...however, this is not a major priority right now...I have a dermatologist appointment coming up this week, hopefully all my new freaky looking moles aren't cancerous, regardless I have to get them removed. My insurance policy is paper and has pictures of dead presidents on it...so funds will be low for awhile.

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I'm entertained as well... just waiting for the vroom vroom.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

vroom vroom will be sooner than thought...dermatologist says nothing to worry about, everything normal so I'm relieved....but the other night, the red engine light decided to go on vacation and I cooked the head gaskets out of the 302...after a 3 mile drive, I stopped and went in a store for a few mins and I came back out, fired up the car and it spark knocked extremely loud...I though, "that's a new trick", and as I pulled off at about half throttle power was surging on and off...like slow rolling waves of acceleration...I thought maybe the timing chain jumped...then 2 miles down the road, I was holding almost half throttle to maintain 45mph...another mile down the road I heard wicked nasty spark knock/detonation after pulling into the grocery store parking lot over my super blasting loud dooms-day death metal...I pulled into a spot and it died...before I could put her in park smoke was rolling out from under the hood...I yanked it open and it was burning oil coming from the air cleaner and pouring out from the oil fill/pcv dealy...not a drop of water left in the motor. Tried cranking and I honestly think the only thing keeping it from locking down was the Lucas in the oil.

This weekend I should have 95% of the mechanicals done...goal for the weekend is 351/T5 installed as well as full exhaust, 190lph fuel pump, aluminum rad+hoses, inner fender+air box and coolant/washer jugs....through the week(after work) and into next weekend will be wiring up the FAST EZ-Efi system, plumbing the fuel system and priming for leaks, wiring up Mallory Hyfire 6L and maybe fabbing up the two taurus fans I have for condenser fans being as the EZ-Efi system will run electric fans...after triple checking everything, I hope to have it running next weekend to break in the cam....that being said...I have a date this Saturday with an AMAZING girl, so if I need to make some more time for that and future dates, I WILL...lol.

I'll start pulling it apart at 5:30 when I'm done fixing everyone else's cars...lol. I know motor and trans will be out by 9-10:00 easy...hopefully one of the local parts stores will have my p/s pump and hoses in stock....busy busy!

Good luck to me!
        -Don
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Good luck with the car. Hope everything falls into place just right and works first time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks, I got as far as pulling the air cleaner and draining oil yesterday...lol. Tired, hot, sweaty and was in serious need of a cold beer...I'm just NOW getting started....good times. I just bought a high end bore scope from Snap-On, so I may play with that and take some video to show my port matching goodness...we'll see how progress goes.

-Don

Comment

Got'er out! I had to jack up on one of the passenger side body bolts(due to serverely worn body mounts) in order to get the trans crossmember out...getting ready to eliminate a bunch of, now unecessary, vaccum lines and the engine wiring harness...I figure it'll be a lot easier to do it now then when the motor is in...I hope to have the motor/trans in before leaving today...I was plagued with people coming in and out all day yesterday to check on my progress and being burnt out on working on cars didn't help much either. Don't know if I'll really have time to play with bore-scope today, that might just have to wait.

-Don

Comment

Got the motor/trans/driveshaft all in last night....cut out the trans mount pad on the crossmember and welded in a piece from a fox body crossmember I had laying around so I could use my poly trans mount...and FYI...Anchor brand motor mounts are the biggest pieces of junk ever...the weld nuts were not standard thread like the originals...if you're going to make a change in a part that requires different fasteners, shouldn't you include those fasteners? I have to return a p/s pump core to O'Reilly's tonight and use that money for odds and ends, I have to take the water pump/timing cover bolt kit back to napa and use that money for more odds and ends and I have to go to Advance Auto to try and warranty out a 6yr old alternator...good times.

Anybody know if the police models had better cooling fans on them? I don't know if a 5 blade fan is going to get it done...I would imagine they had different clutches.

-Don

Comment

same fan for sure... different clutches IIRC.

Comment

I just got a 6 blade fan from O'Reilly's that was listed as being for the "police package"...and I picked up a thermal fan clutch for the "police package", yet it's listed as standard duty...either way the stuff needed to be replaced...after I get it up and running, I plan to put two little taurus fans on as condenser fans...with the efi, I can set them to come on at a certain temp and when the a/c is switched on...i'm just a little curious about what the 5.8's originally used as a belt tensioner for the a/c as the a/c bracket is a whole different animal.

Comment

The tensioner is just a pivoting arm with a 2 inch or so roller. It tightens down with a bolt on the back side that runs in a slot in the bracket. It goes above the belt just to the driver's side of and below the a/c pulley.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        The tensioner is just a pivoting arm with a 2 inch or so roller. It tightens down with a bolt on the back side that runs in a slot in the bracket. It goes above the belt just to the driver's side of and below the a/c pulley.
                        Yeah, that's how the 302 one looked...this 351w bracket is all different...I'll deal with that later...I just found that fox-body H-pipes fit like poop...good thing I've got a stick of 2.5" pipe coming and the only complete set of mandrels/dies/shoes we have for our pipe bender is 2.5"...lol. Hopefully I can kick some ass on it tomorrow, my neck hurts too much tonight.

BTW, that 6 blade fan has a nice sticker on one of the blades that says "rated only to 4,000rpm"...that's confidence inspiring....this is what sucks about changing EVERYTHING at once...lol...all your problems stack up fast.

-Don

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                          Yeah, that's how the 302 one looked...this 351w bracket is all different...I'll deal with that later...I just found that fox-body H-pipes fit like poop...good thing I've got a stick of 2.5" pipe coming and the only complete set of mandrels/dies/shoes we have for our pipe bender is 2.5"...lol. Hopefully I can kick some ass on it tomorrow, my neck hurts too much tonight.

BTW, that 6 blade fan has a nice sticker on one of the blades that says "rated only to 4,000rpm"...that's confidence inspiring....this is what sucks about changing EVERYTHING at once...lol...all your problems stack up fast.

-Don
                          ......what did this motor come out of?.....my 91 "g" code air conditioner bracket looked identical to what is on my 85 "f" code 302...with the same adjustable idler pully,the only noticeable difference is that the "f" code bracket is aluminum,the "g" code was steel, ( the "g " code bracket may be a bit taller due to deck height difference,but i never measured it)

Comment

The motor came out of a '91 E250 originally...the A/C bracket was the very first 351 swap part I bought...lol...can't remember if it was from someone here or at CVN...all nice and freshly powder coated black and has "5.8" stamped in it...it fits perfect but mounts to a single water pump stud one higher than the two studs that the 302 piece uses and doesn't seem to have any provision for a tensioner...fabrication isn't much of a problem for me...just curious as to what I'm running into.

BTW...made my Mac H-pipe fit like a champ...nothing sucks more than having your saw-z-all blade turn into a giant Z shaped piece of useless shit on the first cut...all the rest of my cuts were using a hack saw so that slowed progress down.

-Don

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                              The motor came out of a '91 E250 originally...the A/C bracket was the very first 351 swap part I bought...lol...can't remember if it was from someone here or at CVN...all nice and freshly powder coated black and has "5.8" stamped in it...it fits perfect but mounts to a single water pump stud one higher than the two studs that the 302 piece uses and doesn't seem to have any provision for a tensioner...fabrication isn't much of a problem for me...just curious as to what I'm running into.

BTW...made my Mac H-pipe fit like a champ...nothing sucks more than having your saw-z-all blade turn into a giant Z shaped piece of useless shit on the first cut...all the rest of my cuts were using a hack saw so that slowed progress down.

-Don
                              ...if i remember correctly...its just a rectangle slot that the idler pully bolts through.,and it adjusts sideways

Comment

Well...exhaust is done, except for tips...I'll see how it sounds before making my tip selection as that has a big part of the type of sound and volume...it is effin beautiful...consists of mod'ed Mac off-road H-pipe, summit welded muffs(flowmaster knock-offs), 2.5" impala tails, custom pipes from the tails to the bumper...I'd better be happy with it, I spent the better part of the night on wednesday after work mod'ing the H-pipe and then finished everything else tonight...at 11:45pm...been going since 7:30 at work and started on this at 5:30 tonight...took a 1/2 hr break around 8...tired....very, very...tired...and hungry...no dinner...so very hungry....and tired...lol. I'll try to get some pics up Sunday or monday.

I still have to install(loosely) my radiator/shroud/fan/hoses, make up my fuel lines from the frame to the motor(and prime system to check for leaks), install later model driver side inner fenderwell, coolant overflow and washer jugs, mauruder air box and intake tube, fuel pump, upper plenum/tb/throttle cable, clutch cable, alt & a/c compressor, belts, p/s hoses and wire up the FAST system, install mallory Hy-Fire 6L(I could've cheaped out and got the regular 6 because the injection system has a rev limiter), prime oil system and break in cam.....then after I change out the break-in oil I have to go out to the big ol' tree and pull the radiator core support out more...I thought I had it, but without a radiator/shroud in my way, I can see how bad it still is.

Good times...and a busy weekend...my doomsday music keeps me going...lol.

-Don

Comment

Working...
                                X