No announcement yet.

My 351W slow progress build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been too busy working to get pics uploaded...I don't recall anybody ever talking about how shitty later model inner fenders fit...I had to hack it up like I was at a BBQ and cut about a 4" wide strip from my OE inner fender so it actually looks right...a couple rivets and some plastic welding will make it better. I made my own underdrive crank pulley on saturday...don't know if anybody has ever covered that, but I took pics to show how easy it is.

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Just installed 190lph Holley(Walbro) fuel pump...rad/fan/shroud/inner fender/ marauder air box/plumbing/coolant overflow bottle are all done...the list of things to do is growing shorter as the week does...need to make brackets for the washer fluid bottle...I think the bent core support(and possibly frame) is affecting fitament ever so slightly here and there. I already primed the motor with the valve covers off to make sure all rockers are oiling properly. Need to bolt down valve covers, install FAST wiring harness, mount and wire Mallory box install upper plenum and rail mounted fuel gauge, double check everything and see if it'll make smoke...hopefully by sunday.

BTW...had OE fuel pump from '85! I'm saving it and the factory clamps that have "Ford" stamped in them with "Canada" above it...sweet...too bad nobody makes parts like that anymore...depending on manufacturing date of the pump...it may be just a few months older than me...maybe even days! lol

I swear, I really will get pics up soon...lol.

-Don
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

After today, I still have to get power and grounds to the EFI and Mallory box, make a coil bracket, secure and straighten up wiring harness, make a bracket for the map sensor, run vacuum hoses and pcv hose.

I decided to make my own underdrive pulley set up to slow down the w/p, alt and p/s pump....don't know if it's been covered before, but it's pretty easy...
        Here are the factory spot welds center punched and ready to be drilled, these hold the two pulleys together(hidded under a spacer/cap thing on the back side of the pulley, comes off with a gentle prying action...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	crankpulleycenterpunched_zpsb6f4c111.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1270021
        Here the pulleys are seperated...the outter pulley is on the right, notice how close in size they are...

Name:	crankpulleyseperated_zps0dcb9351.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1270022
        Here is the OE outter pulley on left compared to OE mustang pulley(E4ZE)...

Name:	crankpulleycomparison_zps2757cc97.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1270023

All that's left after that is to pop the rear cap/spacer thing back on the back of the inner pulley(for a/c) and bolt it all back onto the balancer with common 5/16" washers between the inner and outter pulleys for proper alignment...now if I ever decide to get stupid and put a tiny crank pulley on, I can just get one for a mustang and it's a simple bolt on.

Here is the upper a/c bracket we've been discussing, when I bolted it on there was a gap between it and the head mounted bracket...coincidentally, it was the perfect gap to fit the tensioner from my old 302 bracket in there...I'll have to use a 5-rib belt because alignment isn't great and I don't even know if it'll actually work...

Name:	351wacbracket_zpsd24c906e.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1270024

Here be my exhaust!...I had to tweak the down pipes to get them under the crossmember in the right location...I don't tolerate low hanging exhaust...

Name:	25exhaustfromfront_zpsdc4450a1.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1270025

Name:	25exhaustfromrear_zpsfe4747bb.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1270026

Name:	25mufflerandtailpipeconnection_zps201e86db.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1270027

Name:	25tailpipeleft_zps97120a36.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1270028

Name:	25tailpiperight_zps2e7b7aba.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1270029

ENGINE BAY!!!!!!!!!11!!!11111!1

Name:	351wleftside_zpsb4fba26a.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1270030

Comment

Stupid attachment limitations...lol

Name:	351wfront_zpse196ad14.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1270031

Name:	351wleftfrontangle_zps0b54279c.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1270032

I wanna go FAST!

Name:	EZEFImounted_zpscc7488a2.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1270033

Name:	EZEFImountingbracket_zpsea7be897.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1270034

I'm tired of having to make brackets for everything! Those monster 10.4mm wires make everything else look smaller than when you have standard 8 or 9mm wires...lol.

-Don
          Last edited by sick88tbird; 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM.

Comment

That's beautiful It looks like it was made to go in there like that.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
              That's beautiful It looks like it was made to go in there like that.

Packman
              Thanks man, that's kinda what I was going for...I just have to make all the wiring super nice now...although I'm not looking forward to making a firewall adapter for the clutch cable...it's a wicked angle...I don't know what these other guys were smoking talking about it being a straight shot because it wasn't even close...unless you do away with your wiper motor...lol. I'll be working on that and my coil bracket tonight as well as getting the throttle cable/bracket in...and if I have time, I'll start examining my wiring.

Good times
              -Don

Comment

ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVE!!! I got it running today and broke in the cam and worked on the tune a little...I spent nearly an hour trying to tune in the idle and it kept getting harder and harder and seemed like the tune was going away...set the total timing to 32* at 2,000rpm while breaking in the cam...checked it again and total was at 0*...bumped it back up to 30-32* and the idle came flying back up and I went through and got it idling around 800rpm hot. Almost any throttle input would make it sputter and stall and it got better when I set "Accel Fuel" to -2 and even better when set to -3 but still not crisp...I ended up going straight to -5 on Accel Fuel and it is super crisp...man this thing sounds nasty when you goose it and it torques the whole car over pretty good. FAST definitely makes it easy to set this system up and get it going...very user friendly.

If this thing was carbed, it would have a nice little lope at idle, but you can tell the EFI is working to keep it pretty smooth and stable...but you can still tell it is NOT a stock cam. I still have a lot to do before I can drive it, but from the sounds of the exhaust, I think I'll be thrilled with this cam...freakin' thing just barks when you goose it. As soon as I get the wiring cleaned up and finalized and let it learn the tune a little more, then I'll get pics and hopefully some video up...oh yeah, I still have to perform surgery on my hood so I can close it too.

Excited...
                -Don

Comment

Nice!!! How much hood clearance did you lose with the EFI 351W? Does it barely not close or is it not even close to closing? I got an extra hood in anticipation of that problem.

Packman

Comment

I haven't tried to fully close it yet, but because it uses a GM style IAC motor, you need to use a Ford IAC to GM IAC adapter housing dealy...and it either tries to occupy the same space as the throttle cable/bracket or point straight up...using fox-body parts combined with GM parts and this is what you run into...lol. It looks like it won't even be close, but we'll see.

Comment

Hood closes now...I finally got the hood to close by cutting out two overlapping squares for the IAC, TPS and breather hose/fitting.....I was going to pull it up to the ol' shade tree outside to pull the lower radiator support back out but it was too dark...so I drove to the gas station and got some 89 in her....then went for a drive around the block....the car is still real grumpy because the tune isn't all learned and adapted yet....and I can only open the throttle about 75-80%...I need to shim my throttle cable bracket out a little, which I figured on....jumped on it in first blew the tires off, short shifted 2nd waited for traction then matted it again...tires went up in smoke again...repeated the process shifting to third...same thing...each time hitting the "safe" 4k rpm limiter...this car is going to make me lose my license!!!!!! After running down some main roads like that I had to get it back inside the shop FAST...cops are out everywhere and I know one had to at least hear my shennanigans.

Holy crap, I can't wait 'til everything is sorted out and it's road ready...it pulled hard even while spinning the tires...blown out shocks do a lot for weight transfer...thank God I already did the big brake swap and put on the '09 PI rear vented discs...but now I think it needs more! lol

-Don

Comment

Beautiful, friggin beautiful!!! Have fun with the break-in time.

I can't wait for my engine swap. Right now I will settle for the upgraded suspension. I am kicking myself for not finding cop wheels so I can run the big brakes with the winter tire/wheel combo (currently stock turbines with Winterforce tires). I just didn't know about that back then.

Packman

Comment

I just watched your vid. I will need to order a new office chair and my desk may be pregnant now. When you make your hood scoop, plz make a write-up because I am going to do the same thing with my hood at some point.

Packman

Comment

I hope you didn't give it to your desk too hard...lol. It's going to be a cheesy offset little "power bulge"...temporary until I can afford a steel cowl to weld in all nice, but i'll still post pics once it's done.

Comment

Cool. I bought a tear drop hood scoop on sale from Speedway a while back in anticipation of this swap. From what I can see, I will have to epoxy (a lot) the underside of the mounting surface of the hood scoop and also the hood surface. Then I would bondo the outside edge (lip) of the scoop to smooth it into the hood. I am hoping that is the correct way to do this. I know I will have to weld some bracing underneath to keep the flexing at bay. I guess that's what a donor hood is for I any event, I will have to see what you do to get a better idea on how to do this.

Packman

Comment

Mine is a steel frame with a sheetmetal top and the rest will be fiberglassed, it's going to be a bolt on deal...I had "bonding" or riveting aftermarket stuff in...when I do shell out the 200bucks for a steel cowl, I won't be cutting out the hood bracing as it isn't necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X