Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Box-bodies still for sale! $500 each!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was driving it for errands around town (max ~10 miles from home) before it was parked last January, and it was generally reliable but was making 8 mpg. And it was driving me slightly nuts with various little issues, some probably resulting from the fact that I built the engine (and chose the cam) and was attempting to tune it with very little expertise.

Michigan, as you know, has zero inspection requirements, so we can get away with driving pretty much anything that doesn't call undue attention to itself on the street, but guys who don't live here seem not to know that.

One guy wanted to drive it to Texas (which it may handle, maybe not) and have a non-enthusiast friend DD it on a 30 mile commute (and doesn't Texas have safety inspections?), and another wanted to take it to NW Indiana and expect it to pass emissions - with NO emissions equipment on board.

Hope that helps!
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Texas does have safety inspections. if it goes, stops, the e-brake holds, the lights work, seatbelts work... slap a sticker on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sounds almost good enough for you, then. E-brake did work but quit releasing, that's why it's disconnected. I tried loosening up the cable on the two-door with some oil and elbow grease, but it re-seized, so I guess the cables have to be replaced to fix it properly. Still, though, it can't be put directly into service in your area as-is, which is the material point.

Comment

Just a bump, saying I've still got these ....

Still need to swap the P72's original p/s seat slider back over, but I have a lead on another pair of P72 sliders FWIW ....

Comment

I wish, I'm barely employed. Unless it's free, I can't do it. I have, however, been playing with my 85 in the last few weeks with all the extra time on my hands...
            sigpic
            https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
            1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
            1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
            2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
            2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Pictures and RR threads

I just discovered this thread is short on links to pictures!

Here are some of my "good" exterior pics of both cars, taken back in 2009: https://picasaweb.google.com/mcwest2...IfM2PTk9ovo_AE

"Reader's Rides" thread for the two-door: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...81-LTD-2-doorp
              "Reader's Rides" thread for the P72: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-new-four-door

Old "For Sale" thread for the "tudor": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...uot-tudor-quot
              Old "For Sale" thread for the '87: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...y-black-87-P72!

Here's a set of rust pics from the '87: https://picasaweb.google.com/mcwest2...fXjMibxaS_tQE#

Redundant link to "tudor" interior pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/mcwest2...Kbeg-b37Zb_0wE

------------------------------------------------------------

I should also try to include more of a description than has made it into this thread so far. Apologies for the first post, but I'd had people PMing me based on the previous threads wanting me to sell them bumpers, control arms (how am I going to roll the cars around without those?), and even parts these cars don't have (e.g. SEFI fuel pumps and manifolds)! And of course many folks thought one of these can go direction into DD duty, even somewhere a thousand miles away or where they have emissions or safety inspections. Since I'd posted about these cars pretty often before getting my 2012 Mazda5, I had assumed people viewing the for-sale threads had also been following what I'd been doing. Wrong!

Anyway. Here's some descriptive information for the '87 four-door:

- Original fleet package car, came with 351-2V and 2.73 Trak Lok
              - Currently has rebuilt '96 roller motor: F7 heads, Crane 444212 cam and spring kit, "9:1" hypereutectic pistons, stock rockers and lifters, Offy 360 intake, 600cfm AFB carb, homemade plastic carb spacer, Duraspark distributor with MSD cap and wires, and Flowtech tubular exhaust manifolds.
              - 2.5" exhaust, Pacesetter X pipe with NO CATS, economy mufflers, 2.25" tailpipes
              - 3/8" aluminum fuel line, homemade 3/8" fuel pickup, Summit fuel pump, screen type filter, deadhead regulator.
              - Small case 3G alternator, small electric fan from 3.0L Taurus, new style starter, Windstar underhood fuse box
              - A/C leaky and currently doesn't really work
              - Currently has rebuilt '87 AOD transmission with partial TransGo upgrade (VB, governor, governor-feed orifice restrictor, upgraded accumulator piston; I was not able to discover any TransGo springs in the case).
              - 3.27 open rearend with 11" drum brakes
              - Plenty of body rust from DD duty in greater Chicago area and in southern Michigan - see pics. Pics don't show a rusty spot in the transmission tunnel area.
              - E-brake cables siezed up and disconnected
              - Nonfunctional brake proportioning valve; rear brakes currently bypass stock brake block.
              - Stock 700 lb/in P72 front springs
              - Stock non-progressive station wagon rear springs
              - Stock P72 swaybars front and rear
              - Gabriel Ultra front shocks, Monroe MaxAir rear shocks
              - Rebuilt front suspension with ES bushings, new/recent balljoints and steering linkage parts.
              - Class II trailer hitch receiver
              - '98 wheels with 235/60/16 Kumho ASX tires
              - Interior is mostly stock. No radio. Woodgrain radio bezel has broken mounting tabs and is currently missing. AutoGage mini gauge panel mounted in radio location, 3-3/8" tach and aftermarket 12V outlet in place of ashtray.

Description for the 1981 LTD two-door:

- Original AOD/4.2L car
              - Currently has rebuilt '87 roller motor with '96 Explorer cam, stock rockers and lifters, E7 heads rebuilt with stock retainers and stock-replacement springs, stock '87 cast dished pistons, '84 Mustang GT intake, '90 Mustang GT tubular exhaust manifolds, 500cfm AFB carburetor, HEI distributor with old Taylor wires. Has a nasty lifter knock, may need only new lifters or possibly new cam. Have cam and lifters that can be included.
              - 2.25" exhaust, NO crossover pipe or CATS, economy mufflers, 2" station wagon tailpipes
              - 2G alternator
              - No transmission currently in the car. I ran a rebuilt C4 for a while, which seemed to be broken after loaning the car to a relative. Can include two C4 cores and/or '87 AOD said to be good when pulled and/or '87 AOD with leaking Reverse drum.
              - Leaking power steering. Hopefully it just needs a pump.
              - 8.5" rear end, 3.08 open
              - Upgraded to 11" rear drums
              - Aftermarket adjustable brake valving from Speedway Motors
              - Original front springs for base 255W car, '87 P72 rear springs
              - '98 wheels with 223/60/16 Goodyear RS-A Plus tires
              - Cracked windshield, hole in p/s framerail, semi-repaired hole in p/s floorpan, body otherwise mostly solid rust-wise
              - D/s wind-up window needs new guide bushings.
              - Interior is mostly stock except for '95 Mustang front seats on split-bench manual sliders. Dash pad cracked, d/s door panel torn, headliner faded, no carpet on rear shelf area. See pics. Includes aftermarket Jensen stereo with broken cassette deck. Shaft-type radio bezel was hacked by a previous owner to fit a DIN type headunit.

Various items I've got that could possibly go with either car:

- '87 351W engine with Performer intake and cam, 9.5:1 cast pistons, ticking flat-tappet lifters, BBK tubular exhaust manifolds
              - Crane roller rockers
              - C4, AOD, C6 transmission cores with small selection of torque converters
              - 8.8" Trak-Lok centersection with four-clutch upgrade (bought used/rebuilt, never installed)
              - '91 Town Car rearend with disk brakes, 3.27 open center
              - '79 351W engine core, disassembled for easier storage
              - 1G alternators
              - A/C bracket for 351W LTD
              - Stock '87 15" wheels with 215/75/15 Kumho Venture tires for winter use
              - Stock '79 14" wheels with old 195/70/14 Goodyear tires, fit side-by-side on the shelf in the trunk if you want dual spares
              - 16" compact spare
              - '89 P72 swaybars
              - '89 P72 speedometer
              - '90 Mustang GT cam
              - '96 F7 head cores with one damaged spark plug hole, possibly repairable with cheap threaded insert
              - One or two extra bendix-type starters
              - One or two stock fan shrouds
              - One or two extra radiators
              - O-ring water necks
              - AutoMeter Traditional Chrome six-gauge set
              - Various 2.5" exhaust parts - H pipe, mufflers, tailpipes.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 07-09-2013, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot to reiterate in the above post that both current engines are 302s. And the P72 does have the HD frame. And both cars could use new body mounts (they lean to the left). Just thought I'd add that to reduce any confusion.

Comment

Sale pending on the P72, buyer came to see it today and left me a deposit.

A different party has said he'll take the "tudor" home on a trailer, currently waiting to get back in touch.

Comment

P72 is sold!

I received full payment for it this week, and signed over the title. A flatbed is scheduled to pick it up this Saturday.

The buyer is a new board member by the screenname of Louis, and he's been great to work with.

Comment

at least it's staying in the "family"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        I received full payment for it this week, and signed over the title. A flatbed is scheduled to pick it up this Saturday.

The buyer is a new board member by the screenname of Louis, and he's been great to work with.
                        Yep, that be me....looking forward to Saturday.

Interesting how destiny sometimes works....I recently joined here seeking some help with a starting/anti-theft issue with my '84 Towncar. I was racking my brain trying to figure it out, searching the forum here and trying to think like an old mechanic from my past named Louis (hence the screen name LOL) and came upon Michael's For Sale thread. To this day I have no idea how I stumbled upon his thread but I had always wanted a P72 LTD and one thing led to another....

Oh and the Towncar..... got it narrowed down to a faulty starter, Michael sold me an extra he had which will also be arriving Saturday so the Towny will be resurrected along with acquiring a new "sister".

Comment

Pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/mcwest2...NGn_NKVx9iQgwE

Comment

Good to see her go to a good home

Comment

Yep, sounds like it's going to have its own storage unit and everything!

And you need a tudor ...

Comment

A big thanks to 1987cp for a very pleasant transaction. I'm very happy with the car, already started some preliminary planning. I'll soon post a thread on the car in the 'Reader's Rides' section....first photos will be of it arriving here at its new home.

Comment

Working...
                                X