Anybody running these springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody running these springs?

After cruising through the brake/suspension sticky, I think I want to go with 14x7 rear springs with 175lb rate and 12x5.5 front springs with a 800-925lb rate, still unsure. I have a few questions for the guys with these or similar springs.

They're going on my 85 2-door, will have an iron headed fuelie 351w and t-5. It has super great weight transfer with it's stock softy soft springs but it's just too soft for anything other than grandpa type driving...and I'm wondering how bad stiffer springs(along with matching shocks) will affect my weight transfer...while not a dedicated drag car, I will eventually want it to do a little of everything well. Anybody have any pictures before and after with these or similar springs? I'd like the car to be a hair lower, but not much. A lot of places want an arm and a leg for shipping so I want to know exactly what to look for and what I'm getting into so I'm not dropping my hard earned loot on a guess.

I will need something to keep me happy at the strip until my drag-dedicated 5.0 ranger is done(not even started yet).

Thanks,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

The springs that were on the car when I got it.

925 up front, 225 out back, wayyyyy to much of a rake.

Then I tried 200's out back, still had too much of a rake for me.

With 175's out back, perfect.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I like that...does it have a ride akin to a floor jack? I was also contemplating running PI springs temporarily since i can get them uber-cheap at the local pull-a-part...but I want the car a little lower, that's my main reasoning at looking at these street stock springs.

Thanks,
      Don
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
        I like that...does it have a ride akin to a floor jack? I was also contemplating running PI springs temporarily since i can get them uber-cheap at the local pull-a-part...but I want the car a little lower, that's my main reasoning at looking at these street stock springs.

Thanks,
        Don
        It definitely rides a lot stiffer, but it's nothing unbearable. Handles a lot better though. PI springs will jack it to the moon.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          It definitely rides a lot stiffer, but it's nothing unbearable. Handles a lot better though. PI springs will jack it to the moon.
          That pretty much answers all my questions then...lol. Thanks man, I appreciate the pics too, sweet lookin car! I just put wagon cargo coils on an '03 GMQ...it sat 2-3" high in the rear until they put their electric scooter on the back and two large people...now it's level...until they pick up the other 3 people before they go to florida...lol. That car was definitely much flatter around turns...just with those rear springs.

I'm betting that with 925's on the front of my car, I probably won't be in need of a stiffer front sway bar.

Thanks again,
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            no wonder that PI I test drove felt like it was on rails. STIFF suspension.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have the Speedway 925# up front and 175# out back; the ride is a lot stiffer, but nothing like I thought it would be. My S-10 feels a lot rougher with the stock setup than the CV with the Speedway upgrade. Handling dramatically improved. Though on my CV, it seems to nose up a little on even ground. I will be swapping the rear sometime this year and I have new spring perches that won't fit the Speedway springs; so I got Eibach sprint car 5"x15" springs @ 175#. Hopefully it won't have too much rake; or better yet, even it out a bit.

Packman

Comment

This is why I started this thread...pics and feedback on ride quality that wasn't in the sticky! Thanks again all!

-Don

Comment

Working...
                X