Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Build 302's for MPG? And General Wagon Economy

Evening all,

Not new to cars, but new to the boxes for sure. Looking to bring home an '87 Colony Park ASAP to be my DD. It'll be replacing the '86 F250 for going downtown to class duty. I realize the CP is far from small haha, but with 235 E tires, 4.10s, a 4spd, and no AC there's days when I'd trade the truck for a Vega. So it's all relative. AC, an auto trans, and good seats will be a miracle.

I've seen people claim anything from under 20, to near 30 on the highway. A lot of that seems to be maintenance and driving style related. I get near 20mpg on the truck, even with stock in/ex and 1bbl carter. Last two sedans I DD were a mercedes and bmw. I exceeded the epa combined estimates on both of those, and even averaged better than the highway # in two years driving the bmw. And again, it's all relative. The gf has one of those 3 door saturns, gets near 40mpg. But, I can't drive it with the sunroof closed. My mother has an Outback, gets the same #'s the GM wagon guys are talking about. And ever driven an Outback? God it's terrible.

So does hoping 22-26 seem too unrealistic? Over 90% of my driving is either 20+ minute highway trips, and 40-55mph back road cruises. Almost no city, and I avoid stop lights, fast food, etc etc. I'd also been told the tow package 3.55's will keep the car in over drive more, and are arguably better on gas than the 3.08?

There's 50+ years of great info out there on SBF's, but I understand that most guys modding are doing so for power. I drive about 60k mi/yr so if I ever have the urge to go fast it'd be smarter just to get a dedicated testosterone burner. So, what can be done to the 302 for efficiency's sake? I'm also not adverse to swapping in a 5 or 6 speed auto if that's feasible, or engine and trans if that's the best route. Or even forced induction. I know of a few cars running a setup at 6-8psi that are DD reliable. I think I'd rather not deal with a T-5 unless there's a ridiculous bump in #s. It seems like popular opinion would dictate I do the following, but the bump in mileage is always mentioned secondary to the power increases:

Aluminum heads and intake. GT40-P or AFR
    Headers. Shortie, or BBK, I'm thinking into an H, magna flow cats, and some flow master mufflers
    Custom Cam with street in mind

Other than that just the general basics: electric fan, possible electric water pump, reasonably sized tires, spend a few hundred on a tune-up.

Appreciate y'all's time and advice!
    Dave- collector of the old, slow, and free
    86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
    87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Exhaust will help some. Intake maybe swap the upper and tb to mustang stuff. I pulled 18 last tank on mine before the trans exploded with lots of weirdo mods to it. But the ambient temperature in the car was like 130 driving with the windows down. I'd guess you'd get 18 or so, maybe 20. Do a good tune up before you start modding it. If you want better mpg on the highway, get rid of the plywood aerodynamics of the car.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

5 speed manual and decent rear gears will help. the AOD is heavy and sucks power. I don't have numbers for panthers, but I know a guy who stuck a T5 in an otherwise stock Mark VII and has reported 34 mpg out of it. Normally a stock Mark VII doesn't break 25 mpg, though this guy has claimed a best 28 on long trips in the flatlands in one of his other 8 Mark VII's. There are a couple of T5 Vic guys here, one with a wagon, but honestly I do not know their fuel economy numbers.

For a DD, I wouldn't go nuts with electric accessories. Its gotta be driven by something, namely the alternator. The stock alternator is a complete POC, so that would definitely have to go. Its barely able to handle a stock car without melting down (and they occasionally do this). Any additional load will just melt that wiring down in a heartbeat. Upgrades are easy and available but its just something else to consider in your costs. I also question the reliability. I removed the electric fan from my car because I got tired of the noise and the lights flickering every time it kicked on. It didn't change my fuel economy at all either when I went back to the clutch fan. Getting air in and out of the motor efficiently does help though, even if its just stock dual exhaust. The single exhaust is terrible, and the stock mufflers are similarly awful.

Aerodynamics would be a big help. Not a ton to be done up top if you want to keep the general normal shape, but adding a splash pan underneath like some newer cars have would likely help some. How much, I don't know, but smoothing the underside airflow out can't hurt any.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys. Seems that exhaust should be done on the way home with this boat haha.

And duly noted on the alt Gadget. This would be a 2nd gen, correct? I've got a 160amp 3g I pulled for the truck in the floor of my closet. I rarely even turn the lights on the beast, so I'll just put that in the wagon.

And thanks for the heads up on the T5. I believe pantera77 is the guy. I'll ask, but I don't know that he's worried about mpg in that thing haha.
        86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
        87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave804 View Post
          And thanks for the heads up on the T5. I believe pantera77 is the guy. I'll ask, but I don't know that he's worried about mpg in that thing haha.
          No, that was actually kinda sorta one of the reasons. Sort of. Anyways, it got me about 2 or 3 better mpg, but the car I put it in has never gotten good gas mileage. Hell my 235K mile lopo wagon has always gotten much better mileage than it. I'll let you know once the newer engine is in, and a t5 that wasn't about to explode.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Hilarious, thanks for the heads up.

Looks like it's time to start combing the yards then!

Comment

if you have the money for AFR head i suggest you do it. BBK shorties i swear by them.nix the rustmasters go with magnaflo or borla. HO conversion or HO swap with some nicer goodies will do wonders.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i get 20 to 22 highway with my town car
                a few i work on that have modded lopos get 24-27 mpg........one is a 89 colony park and he drives it about 30,000 miles a yr when i dont have it in pieces lol

read my signature for town car mods......it's almost as good mpg wise as my mostly stock 91 mark VII bill blass.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

All I've got is dual exhaust on my 88 and I get 22-25 cruising at 65, and up to 27 in a 55. I went on a 150 mile trip last wednesday and averaged 26mpg that was mainly 65mph on the interstate with a small amount of city driving.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Dear Panthers,
                    Scott put duals, undershot pulley,16 inch wheels, electric fan and roller lifters on my 89 CP lopo 302 positrac AOD . Loaded (7-800 lbs), 72-77 mph interstate A/C no BS 21mpg on 2800 mile trips. At 80-87 (West Texas) it's 16.
                    Without weird/difficult/expensive mods I don't know how to get better mileage except streamlining. I'd like to put a lincoln engine skidplate on it and cover the headlight pots with plastic. Scott has installed an aluminum driveshaft and I expect that'll bump mpg but don't know how much. Cruise control is a must.

Excepting the duals no single mod has made a dramatic difference. It's a heavy car - one reason it's so comfortable on those 13 hour runs. Before the mods I was getting 17-18.

Donald McCaig
                    Last edited by dmccaig; 07-23-2012, 07:01 AM.

Comment

At one build point got 27 to 32.9 MPG using mostly modded LOPO parts. city was around 22.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I would see a P-headed explorer motor being the best bet, keeping the explorer cam for that bottom end torque...definitely an electric fan and 3g alternator. I've seen 2-3mpg gains from that alone. Custom fabbed or existing modified long tube headers with 1 1/2- 1 5/8" primaries would help too. If you're not going over 55mph, you could go with 4.10's...those engines love cruising around 2000-2400rpm. Aerodynamics and weight are your two biggest enemies now. Shorter, stiffer springs will help reduce air turbulence under the car but will degrade that smooth factory ride.

It's hard to compare these boxes to fox-bodied lincolns or t-birds/cougars in terms of fuel economy. With 3.73's, a 351w and t-5, I was easily nailing down 28-30mpg on the highway at 70-75mph. City was a different story...stop and go with speeds 50 or less I was lucky to get 11mpg...may have had something to do with my driving style too.

Good luck,
                        Don
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming!

Don, was that 28-30 with a sedan or wagon? And with that fuel kill, sounds like it might have been habits haha.

Comment

My car with the 302 explorer after the differential swap highway averaged about 19-23mpg highway. I haven't seen what I can do now with the cobra cam and the 1.7 roller rockers. I know my city mileage has gone up with the new cam.

Comment

I'd be interested to hear. I'm hoping to make it out to the short track this weekend and talk with a couple local builders. I've read a little bit about custom cams for economy in 302's and it's got me curious.

Also, after that talking to from gadget/pantera I went back and read his T5 thread again. I'm optimistic about the manual trans improvement. I'm leaning towards a Borg-W T-56. If it can mate up and fit I think it'd be perfect for my needs. 4 forward gears for power. And then 5th at ~.80 and 6th at ~.62.

Comment

Working...
                              X