Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing distributor?

Hey--
    When I install the distributor, I want the crank and TDC, and I want to drop it in such that (when the helical cut gears spin a little), the center rotor ends up pointing to the #1 cylinder, right?

My question is, how best to tell when I've got it at TDC, AND, that the #1 cylinder is on compression tdc (and not exhaust)? It would not do to set it up to spark on the exhaust stroke.
    I did this once, a year ago, as part of a class: now it's just me this time, and I've forgotten how to do this detail.

thanks!
    -Bernard

I just set it to tdc and install the distributor. If it does not work, partially remove and reotate the distributor four cylinders.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

We remove #1 spark plug and put finger over hole and bumb engine over, stop when you fill the air pushing on your finger, that's compression stroke. now just turn crank forward/backwards to 0. now your on TDC compression. drop in distributor so that the rotor points to #1 on the cap.
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
        We remove #1 spark plug and put finger over hole and bumb engine over, stop when you fill the air pushing on your finger, that's compression stroke. now just turn crank forward/backwards to 0. now your on TDC compression. drop in distributor so that the rotor points to #1 on the cap.
        this.

Comment

yup, stick your finger in the hole.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            yup, stick your finger in the hole.
            ...That's what she said.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

hey, it worked for her too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yup, that worked for me. Turned to TDC, then rotated around again to the next TDC, felt the push of air, and set it there.
                My idea of looking for where the exhaust valve is open, doesn't work: at TDC on the exhaust stroke, there must be some overlap, because both rockers look to be in the same place.

Question... when I dropped the distributor in to be pointed at the #1 cylinder, the closest I got was halfway between #1 and #3 (to the left/ ccw). I locked the distributor down where that notch on the block is as a starting point, started the car, and found my timing to be 10-15 degrees off, at 25-30 btdc instead of at 10 (with the spount connector out). There was room enough to rotate the distributor to get timing correct however.
                Should I try pulling the distributor again to see if I can get it closer to begin with, or does it make any difference at all as long as you can turn the distributor to correct the rotor pointing half a cylinder away from the #1 it's supposed to point to?

Comment

It makes no difference as long as you can swing it to the correct setting.

The valves both close before the exhaust stroke so used gas is not blown into the manifold and again at the fireing point so you have compression for ignition of the fuel.

If the valve covers are off then you can tell if you are on the compression cycle by watching the intake valve close and then going to TDC on the scale.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                  X