Going beyond basic rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going beyond basic rebuild.

I was reading and thinking about engine longevity/durability and came to conclusion that i will send my dissambled engine components to be cryogenically treated and after that send out my block for hot honing. Cryogenic treatment removes built in stresses and hot honing makes cyl bores as as round and square as they suppose to be at operating temperature.
    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Sounds pricey.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I'd just buy a DART block
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Right now im calculating how much shipping and labor will cost.
        “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Are you looking for a stock-purposed block, but one that lasts a long time, or a race engine that sees much higher stresses?

What is a DART block?

To a realistic extent, these engines last 100k no problem, 200k probably, 300k sometimes.
          Wouldn't it be cheaper just to rebuild every 200k or whenever something breaks? I'm with you, there's a romance to building something to last forever, and a cynicism tied to planned obsolescence. But sometimes, it just makes more sense, and is cheaper in the long term as well as the short term, to build something cheaper and rebuild it more often, than to make one thing to last forever. I remember watching one of these shows where they knock down buildings, and there was a stadium somewhere, and a hotel in las vegas, both of which had cement and rebar to specs that should have held them standing for 1000 years, far stronger than anything the ancient romans did... and yet, real estate prices, run down interiors, and fickle fashion (times had moved on from both the stadium, and that hotel), saw them knocked down after mere decades.

The special treatments still don't take care of gasket materials, which need to be replaced more often than hard components, require just as much labor to get to (a rear seal, or a headgasket, say), and fancy metallurgy won't fix that.

Finally, I'm not sure about cryo treating relieving stresses... I thought it was supposed to harden steel (perhaps, making more stresses to achieve this): usually it's annealing that removes stresses.
          Dunno about hot honing. Sounds like not a bad idea, although, presumably when ford engineered their tolerances it was so those numbers cold, became even tighter fits hot: so if you machine it hot, the specs will be non-stock. It also might not be a significant difference.
          I wonder if other advances like steel sleeve inserts might create more accurate bores than hot honing will ever get a stock iron cast block to?

Comment

I want it to last as long as 4.6 can like 600k a that I had seen.

Comment

agree with the DART block or something similar that is designe to handle over 800 hp and then some
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Bernie DART is a company that manufactures blocks, heads, intakes etc...the blocks are overbuilt like crazy and can take more abuse than you could possibly throw at it.

stock Ford vs DART SHP main caps

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

have Dart? add blower and turbos... enjoy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Your wasting money with freezing and heating. I've got 350k abusive mikes on my engine. Its all in the oil.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I guess its just a wishfull thinking. On the other hand today i bought a zero hours ford racing crate 302 for grand total of $100. The seller explained to me that it was his grandpa's that deceased. Pics tomorrow.

Comment

hah, I'm jealous on that one! that's a steal.

And holy... that is one massive main. What does a DART built 302 run? (cost wise)

Comment

I think just block costs 5 grand.

Comment

Originally posted by 90ltd View Post
                            I guess its just a wishfull thinking. On the other hand today i bought a zero hours ford racing crate 302 for grand total of $100. The seller explained to me that it was his grandpa's that deceased. Pics tomorrow.
                            crates are for eggs not engines......

Comment

could also go with an R32 block as well

Comment

Working...
                              X